wyoming law regarding sex organs attached

pseshooter300

Ok I guess I'm just confused I read the regs where it talks about identifying the animal. I just want to make sure when getting checked I'm legal. Do I half to leave sex organs attached to a rear quarter? Cause the law said head or sex organs someone care to explain to me what is the correct way. Thanks

Can you post the section of the regs in question?

I know in CO, I leave a testicle on each hind quarter when cutting it up. That's of course when someone in camp is actually lucky enough to put one on the ground.

*************** Section 6.* Retention
of Evidence to Identify Sex, Species and Horn or Antler Development of Big Game Animal Harvested.* Any person who takes any big game animal in a
hunt area where the taking of either sex, species, or antler or horn
development is controlled or prohibited shall comply with this section while
said animal is in transportation from the site of the kill to the residence of
the person taking the animal, or delivered to a processor for processing.***
*************** (a)* In hunt
areas where the taking of any big game animal is restricted to antler point or
horn size, the antlers or horns shall accompany the animal as a whole, or
edible portion thereof.*
*************** (b)* In hunt areas where the taking of any big
game animal is restricted to a specific sex of animal, the visible external sex
organs or head shall remain naturally attached to the animal as a whole, or
edible portion thereof.*
*************** (c)* In hunt areas where the taking of a species
of deer is controlled or prohibited, either the head or the tail of the deer
shall accompany the animal, or edible portion thereof as evidence of the
species taken.

I've always kept the penis and scrotum attached to one of the rear quarters. I put a plastic bag over it and zip tie it shut. I think that complies with the naturally attached to an edible portion thereof. I've heard others say you can cut the penis off and just leave the testicles.

I have accidently cut it off when quartering before and just tossed it in a plastic bag and kept it with me.

If you have an either sex tag like many units do, then you don't have to worry about that section. If you have a tag in an antlered only unit or an extra doe tag, then you need to pay attention to evidence of sex. I shot a cow elk on a reduced price tag a few years ago and two of us were working on skinning it out and we ended up together at the back end and neither of us had kept the external sex organ or udder attached. I put the udder in a baggy and had it in the cooler and the Game Warden I knew out there happened by and checked us out. He issued a verbal warning because nothing was left attached when he could have easily written a ticket. Be careful out there guys because they do look for things like that and it's lucky I knew the guy and he uses common sense and listened to my explanation. Another one might have whipped out his book of tickets!

Last edited:
Ok thanks for the info so if I have buck tag and a doe tag for antelope and take both as long as I have each animals sex organs attached to one of the rear quarters I should be ok

At the check station this year I asked. I kept the buck's head (horns and black cheek patch). and the doe I kept the vaginal area. The warden stated that I was ok with that ID of the animals.

good luck to all
the dog

If you have an either sex tag like many units do, then you don't have to worry about that section.

This is definitly not true in Montana. Having an either sex tag has nothing to do with the requirement of leaving proof of sex attached - Trust me on this one.

On a lighter note. The clarification of regs on proof of sex attached has as many different opinions as the number of game wardens you ask. Had an opportunity at one of the original wolf introductory meetings to talk to 5 different wardens at the same time in the same room.
When you asked them the specific question of what is legal to do when you bone out an animal in the field as far as leaving proof of sex attached there was nothing but a moment of silence. Then you get the response of having the actual regs read to you. Then there is a quite lenghty discussion of what is not legal.

My comments to them were I can read the regs I just can't understand what is legal.

I haven't read the latest Montana regs but I believe the wording is something like: proof of sex must be attached to portion of animal. Anyone want to guess what a physical size is on something called a portion??

This is definitly not true in Montana. Having an either sex tag has nothing to do with the requirement of leaving proof of sex attached - Trust me on this one.

On a lighter note. The clarification of regs on proof of sex attached has as many different opinions as the number of game wardens you ask. Had an opportunity at one of the original wolf introductory meetings to talk to 5 different wardens at the same time in the same room.
When you asked them the specific question of what is legal to do when you bone out an animal in the field as far as leaving proof of sex attached there was nothing but a moment of silence. Then you get the response of having the actual regs read to you. Then there is a quite lenghty discussion of what is not legal.

My comments to them were I can read the regs I just can't understand what is legal.

I haven't read the latest Montana regs but I believe the wording is something like: proof of sex must be attached to portion of animal. Anyone want to guess what a physical size is on something called a portion??

I had a warden do that one time when I asked him a question. I just shook my head and told him never mind. I can read.

In CO I was "informed" by a warden in no uncertain terms, that if the testicles or udder/vagina were not "naturally" attached I could count on being cited.

Cowboy, Inform us, on size of portion. I have always deboned on elk and on a bull i took all the meat left the cape on the head and antlers, cow or bull sex organ i did bring out part of a hind quarter bone with a PORTION of meat left on it and the hide sex organ attached to it. My thinking of a portion is that A portion is a small piece. I never had a problem with it either. But of course I may have been lucky. I know different wardens have different opinions and that's the gray area you can get into.
As far as deer i've never killed one in the west, but I would do the same way.

Here in the east it's customary to drag or carry the deer out whole. You have the whole body with exception of sex organ that you discarded when you field dressed. I have the CC now and if I kill one more than 1/2 mile from where i can get to it with a vehicle. It will be broke down same way here.

I know what the regs say for the western states. Lets hear some more opinions.

Good question, Cowboy. I was told by a warden a "portion" is the "sex organ" so still not completely clear.

BTW, having clean antelope quarters and meat on ice, with sex organs in separate plastic bags, accompanied by the horns of the buck was not acceptable to the warden. He gave me a warning, but only after I strongly argued about keeping my meat clean and free of hair and then demanding he call his supervisor. It was a warning that time, but it would be a cititation for me next time. The only solution is to tie off the attached organs with sealed plastic bags.

Good question, Cowboy. I was told by a warden a "portion" is the "sex organ" so still not completely clear.

BTW, having clean antelope quarters and meat on ice, with sex organs in separate plastic bags, accompanied by the horns of the buck was not acceptable to the warden. He gave me a warning, but only after I strongly argued about keeping my meat clean and free of hair and then demanding he call his supervisor. It was a warning that time, but it would be a cititation for me next time. The only solution is to tie off the attached organs with sealed plastic bags.

Now that's one I have never heard of - a portion being the actual sex organ. That warden must have been on his first assignment being watched by his supervisor.

No one has ever been able to tell me what "a portion" was from ANY game and fish employee. I don't think there is an answer to that question. The best and probably most honest answer I ever got was from a warden that I had known for many years. His answer to almost any question was "We don't make the laws - the legislature makes the laws - our job is to enforce them".. Herein lies the problem.

Hopefully when you get checked it is by a biologist and not a warden. Half the time the biologists don't even have you dig out the cut out tags.

Here is what we have done for many years and have stopped at a lot of game checks. When you cut off the sex organ - be it male or female - leave a hamburger size patty of meat attached to sex organ. We then put this sex organ and "portion" of attached meat in a zip lock type bag along with the appropriate needed tag. This zip lock back is the last thing to go into the game sack so it is on top and off we go.

The "proof of sex attached" is by far the highest per cent of any violations written year after year here in Montana.

I packed into a "Brow tine only" area for many years. It was not illegal to come out with no horns but by gosh you better have proof of sex. Most of the time we were checked by forest service personnel and not wardens but never once did they ask where the horns were.

I think the key to being checked by anyone is stay calm and be confident. I have never had any problems to date but I will not be intimidated by anyone in any uniform. They have their job to do and I have a right to be there with any legally taken animal.

Now keep in mind - THIS IS IN MONTANA. It may or may not apply to regs in other States.

I like cowboys method the best. It is clean convenient and would be tough to argue that the proof of sex is not attached to a "portion" of the animal

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rifleman270
Back