Caribou Gear

Wyoming hunt area 70

Doing some research for a buddy and I. Looks like I can draw 70 with 2 points and he can draw with 1 in the special. I realize it’s a small unit but there appears to be a good amount of walk in and a few public pieces along with a few land owners that allow access on their property on Wyoming g and f website, tho they are small. Anyone have any experience in 70? This would be our first antelope hunt so we’re not looking for any monsters. Just a good representation of the species. Is it worth it to give this hunt area a shot?

Looks like it will take you 3 points to draw, and given the trends recently, I don't see that getting any better. However, if you both do special, you should be able to draw. You will also have lots of traffic from Casper. That being said, if you do draw, you will likely be able to get on a decent animal. If it were my first hunt, I might try to find something in area that had a bit more space to enjoy myself.

I used to hunt 70 quite a bit back when it was available as a leftover.

When it was a leftover it was worth it but, I don’t think I’d burn points for it. There will be lots of antelope on the private land alfalfa fields and you may catch a few cutting thru some of the public and HMAs but take a close look at those HMAs, there is a total of about 8sqmi of HMA and a lot of the BLM is deer country- pretty rugged.

The best part of 70 back when we hunted it got absorbed into 69 2 years ago and even with that I personally wouldn’t burn 2 points there.

Looks like it will take you 3 points to draw, and given the trends recently, I don't see that getting any better. However, if you both do special, you should be able to draw. You will also have lots of traffic from Casper. That being said, if you do draw, you will likely be able to get on a decent animal. If it were my first hunt, I might try to find something in area that had a bit more space to enjoy myself.
It’s 100 percent with 2 points in the special. I’m just having a tough time finding units that have enough public and walk in to shoot one but not a unit that you can draw with one point in the regular in attempt to lessen some of the pressure.

It’s 100 percent with 2 points in the special. I’m just having a tough time finding units that have enough public and walk in to shoot one but not a unit that you can draw with one point in the regular in attempt to lessen some of the pressure.
70 used to have leftovers every year. Unfortunately, now it takes several points to draw. The issue is, that the tag numbers haven’t changed much and the quality of the unit hasn’t improved. The only thing that’s changed is that more people are applying in general.

FWIW, I’d look someplace else at a different unit, or I’d hold my points and hunt someplace else for something different. I certainly wouldn’t burn 2 points and pay the special fee to hunt antelope in 70.

Personally, I’d much rather pay a trespass fee and get a tag I can draw in the regular draw vs spend that much to hunt there.

If there isn’t an antelope on the very limited public you can hunt in 70, you’ll spend your week sitting around hoping and waiting one wanders on to the ground you can hunt. There isn’t much room to get out and hike and find one in some hidden back corner. Not that you couldn’t possibly kill an antelope there, but it’s sure not what I look for in an antelope hunt. If the chunk they cut off and put into 69 was still there, I would tell you differently. We would walk that chunk of HMA every day and typically always managed to pull 2 bucks off of it in a 4-5 day hunt. We only ever killed 2 other bucks on any of the rest of the public in 70. Nothing huge but good enough for leftover tags.

With the way things are with pronghorn right now in Wyoming there is no way quotas are going to do anything but decrease.

If I had my way, I'd not issue a single doe tag anywhere in this State right now and slash the any pronghorn tags in half...in the best units.

In the worst units, I would strongly consider not even having a season at all...these animals need a break.

My wife and I have 6 tags (2 buck and 4 does) and we're likely going to end up tossing all of them, including one in what was one of the best trophy pronghorn units in the State. A unit we have both shot B&C bucks in the past...its pathetic right now.

70 used to have leftovers every year. Unfortunately, now it takes several points to draw. The issue is, that the tag numbers haven’t changed much and the quality of the unit hasn’t improved. The only thing that’s changed is that more people are applying in general.

FWIW, I’d look someplace else at a different unit, or I’d hold my points and hunt someplace else for something different. I certainly wouldn’t burn 2 points and pay the special fee to hunt antelope in 70.

Personally, I’d much rather pay a trespass fee and get a tag I can draw in the regular draw vs spend that much to hunt there.

If there isn’t an antelope on the very limited public you can hunt in 70, you’ll spend your week sitting around hoping and waiting one wanders on to the ground you can hunt. There isn’t much room to get out and hike and find one in some hidden back corner. Not that you couldn’t possibly kill an antelope there, but it’s sure not what I look for in an antelope hunt. If the chunk they cut off and put into 69 was still there, I would tell you differently. We would walk that chunk of HMA every day and typically always managed to pull 2 bucks off of it in a 4-5 day hunt. We only ever killed 2 other bucks on any of the rest of the public in 70. Nothing huge but good enough for leftover tags.
What’s the best way you’ve found to find someone that allows pay trespass fees? I’m from Indiana so I’d have to do it via phone. I’m looking to plan this hunt for next year

What’s the best way you’ve found to find someone that allows pay trespass fees? I’m from Indiana so I’d have to do it via phone. I’m looking to plan this hunt for next year
I’ve not done it. I just wait until I have enough points in WY, build points in other states at the same time and hunt where I can get a tag.

Dad had a doe tag and we didn't see any down on blm land/hma. Kind of rugged. Saw mule deer. Rained and tires got caked almost didn't make it off road by river. Wife would have loved getting stuck till it freezes.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back