WYOMING GRIZZLIES SHIPPED TO CALIFORNIA SIGNED INTO LAW

California has been talking about re-introducing grizzlies for awhile. They want to start with the Warner Mountains, which are beautiful and look like classic Grizzly country but dont have the large numbers of elk, if any at times, to support grizzlies. The deer herd is a shadow of what it once was there as well. My guess is any bears introduced there would eventually make their way up into oregon or over into nevada as the wolves that we were told had "migrated" from Oregon did. With absolutely no predator management in California the competition for food is fierce. The wolves just moved on to greener pastures hopefully the grizzlies do too.

I believe The last Grizzly shot in CA was in the 20's. 1926? NM was about the same time.
Always thought the wolves & grizzlies needed a refuge, in the bay area. SM Mtns would be good spot too................

The Grizzly Discovery Center in West Yellowstone has a pretty cool little museum, a part of which highlights the slaughter of the California Grizzlies. When the livestock slaughters were on, the human occupants of California got medieval. What a different world. I took this picture there.

Attachments

• grizz.jpg
    grizz.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 33
I believe The last Grizzly shot in CA was in the 20's. 1926? NM was about the same time.
Always thought the wolves & grizzlies needed a refuge, in the bay area. SM Mtns would be good spot too................
Last one killed in 1926 in tulare county near what is now lake success where my family goes fishing. Used to be all kinds of critters here in the San Joaquin valley Tule Elk, pronghorn, grizzly...

They want to start with the Warner Mountains, which are beautiful and look like classic Grizzly country but dont have the large numbers of elk, if any at times, to support grizzlies.

I would put them in Berkley, a large man-bun flaunting PETA chapter on campus that would keep them well fed for years :)

Back