Wyoming Elk Units 37 and 49

Dully

Hello all!! New to the forum and looking for information on Wyoming Elk units 37 and 49. I have read every thread I can find concerning WY Elk hunting, these units, units around these units and pretty much the same for surrounding Antelope units.

My son (25) and me (46) are looking forward to our first Western hunt!! We are from Tennessee and are avid whitetail hunters. We've gone the outfitter route for whitetails in KY, IL, NE and KS. Now it's time to take the plung into public land Elk hunting. We were not able to draw WY Antelope tags this year (both with zero points) but we were able to draw cow elk tags!!! We put in for these units primarily for draw odds and proximity to where we thought we'd be Antelope hunting.

Knowing these are difficult units, our main goal is some quality father/son time with the hopes of bringing back some wonderful all natural red meat!!! We are very proficient in processing deer and I have watched numerous YouTube videos on breaking down and Elk. Obviously none of that matters if we can't find them!! We've also spent countless hours on the OnX app studying every ridge and draw (understanding our only knowledge comes from Podcasts and every Fresh Tracks and Meateater episode)

Due to schedules, we plan on being there the 2nd week of Nov. Unfortunately I have read they will likely be on private very early in October.

So finally to my questions:
Disclaimer - I am not asking for anyones honey holes, nor do I want any "suggestions" posted on this thread for the world to see. I ask that, if you're willing to give advice, it be sent in a PM.

Unit 37:
Are the 2 tracks off Red Grande road drive able during that time of year?

Should we focus more on the woodland areas at higher elevation or the walk in HMA areas at lower elevations? (We know we can't go into the wilderness areas)

Any idea if there is a list of landowners willing to let us pay a trespass fee to gain access to land with better potential? If so, what's the going rate?

Unit 49:
Is there any reason to look at the western half of the unit?

We plan on staying in Buffalo. Will we have issues driving to 49 that time of year?

Same deal as above with trespass fees?

Much of what you ask depends on the weather. Early Nov they might be high or low depending on snow, same for 2 track access.

A couple of years back, I-25 was shut down for a bit due to snow in mid October. Back in the unit, hunters were chaining up at 8,000’ to drive on a maintained road. You’ll just have to see what the weather is like just before you go and when you get there.

There are landowners that will allow you to pay to go on their property. Cannot remember the gentleman's name, but the local CO there will give you names and get you to a starting point. Met him at a cafe in town and was super awersome guy. Give him a shout. That would be my first step.

There are landowners that will allow you to pay to go on their property. Cannot remember the gentleman's name, but the local CO there will give you names and get you to a starting point. Met him at a cafe in town and was super awersome guy. Give him a shout. That would be my first step.
Thanks krhuntin. I spoke to the Wildlife Biologists for 49 and he said most all of the private is leased by outfitters now.

Had some decent rains today on SW Bighorns today, which made what is normally a pretty easy drive to become “quite sporty” according to my unit forty 9ine cousin.

Had some decent rains today on SW Bighorns today, which made what is normally a pretty easy drive to become “quite sporty” according to my unit forty 9ine cousin.
Has that area had decent rainfall this year? Also, are the non paved roads out there gravel or dirt or a combination of both?

@Dully drier than last year if that’s possible. I might suggest you should consider most of the non paved roads in Washakie county as good to go when dry, and extremely likely to be non passable when wet. Bentonite gets greasy with almost no provocation. And you can be certain that one way to infuriate local ranchers is to rut up ”their” roads.

@Dully drier than last year if that’s possible. I might suggest you should consider most of the non paved roads in Washakie county as good to go when dry, and extremely likely to be non passable when wet. Bentonite gets greasy with almost no provocation. And you can be certain that one way to infuriate local ranchers is to rut up ”their” roads.
Thanks for the info. Looking forward to the trip out in Nov

Thanks krhuntin. I spoke to the Wildlife Biologists for 49 and he said most all of the private is leased by outfitters now.
Damn. That is sad to hear. Hope things come back to how they used to be for access.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back