Wyoming Elk Unit Info

Wapiti23

Hi folks, ive been looking at the Wyoming elk regulations and info and was wondering if anybody has any info on unit 116 in northeastern Wyoming in the Bear Lodge Mountains? Im trying to plan a possible elk hunt with my dad in the future. We have hunted Wyoming before but never this area. The reason that I am looking at this unit is because it is closer to home and the land isnt as rough as where we usually hunt which would help out with my fathers knees and because from what I have seen, there is fairly good elk hunting there. Any information on this unit would be great. Thanks everyone for the help.

I don't know what you mean by in the future, but 116 takes at least 3 or 4 Preference Points to draw a tag and there are less than 20 issued to nonresidents each year from what I can see on the G&F website.

I realize it takes 3-4 points to get a tag, we both have 2 right now. Im just wondering if I could just get some info on unit 116 about land access, numbers of elk and what kind of bulls one would expect to find in this unit. Any info would very helpful!

from what i know,northeast wyoming has alot of private land,better make sure of where you can go///posibly eastmans mrs might give you more insight.

On 116 looks like on the regular draw last year 17% chance with 3 points and on the special draw 100% with 0 points. So you can wait 4 years to guarantee a regular tag or just spend the $1,070 and not wait. Last 5 years harvest success varied from 35 - 65%. On the map I looked at the Black hills national forrest looks to be right in the middle of that unit so should be lots of public. Rated as a marginal limited entry unit on eastmans, i'd take that like a grain of salt unless you are just hunting for trophy tape measure bulls.

Last edited:
Thought I would bump this thread & ask if anyone has some info/tips on WY Elk area 51. My buddy & I will be heading up there soon to scout it out and I'm wondering if there is a particular portion to focus on.
Thanks!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dwaller4449
Back