Yeti GOBOX Collection

Wyoming Elk Trip

MiHunter1

Currently planning a 2022 father/daughter archery Elk hunt in the Bighorns. This is a first western hunt and first elk hunt, going DIY. I have reached out to the biologist in the unit and discussed with him some aspects and am making a list of further questions.

What should I know for the region that may impact or hep the hunt. Is anyone here done a archery hunt in the bighorns that wouldn’t mind messaging back and forth some questions?

Planning to use my TenPoint Titan xbow, will be purchasing bolts/broad heads with combined weight at approximately 500grains. What are some other must haves or should haves for a western elk hunt that a Midwestern whitetail hunter may not think of?

I'd be tempted to bring a fly rod...

Questions that I sometimes forget to ask biologists and wardens:

Where does the bulk of the pressure come from? What trail heads do they use?

Are there outfitter camps that you know of? Where?

How is cell service in this area?

Are there roads in this area I can't drive with my truck/car?

I'd be tempted to bring a fly rod...

Questions that I sometimes forget to ask biologists and wardens:

Where does the bulk of the pressure come from? What trail heads do they use?

Are there outfitter camps that you know of? Where?

How is cell service in this area?

Are there roads in this area I can't drive with my truck/car?
Those are good questions that I have added to the list. We are discussing bring gear for fishing, we do not have any fly gear though. We would use a float with spin reel and fly on the end.

Currently planning a 2022 father/daughter archery Elk hunt in the Bighorns. This is a first western hunt and first elk hunt, going DIY. I have reached out to the biologist in the unit and discussed with him some aspects and am making a list of further questions.

What should I know for the region that may impact or hep the hunt. Is anyone here done a archery hunt in the bighorns that wouldn’t mind messaging back and forth some questions?

Planning to use my TenPoint Titan xbow, will be purchasing bolts/broad heads with combined weight at approximately 500grains. What are some other must haves or should haves for a western elk hunt that a Midwestern whitetail hunter may not think of?
As a midwestern hunter who started chasing elk, I am happy to message about some things.

Few thoughts, your bow setup is important, but not near as important as us midwesterners like to think. A strong bolt/arrow (maybe on the heavier side) with a good cut on contact broadhead is all you need. Unless you are shooting some super light arrow with an oversized broadhead, your whitetail setup will kill an elk fine.

Quality binos that are highly accessible are extremely important. I like a chest rig for so many reasons. My binos cost a lot more than my rifle and I have never regretted it.

Great boots are a must and if you think they are broken in, wear them a bit more. Have a backup pair at the truck in case you need them. Brand doesn't matter despite what you might read on here and just because one guy loves Kennetrek doesn't mean they won't shred your feet. I buy my boots at REI because they let me try them (actually wear them) and bring them back until I find a pair that works. It's worth it to me to wear a branch like Oboz, Soloman, or Merrell to have this convenience.

A pack that fits is important. Doesn't matter if you buy it from Mystery Ranch, Sitka, or on sale at REI all can work depending on the situation.

Being in "shape" is a must. Being in shape is less about running a mile in 6 minutes and more about being in the best shape you personally can be in. I'm 5'11" with short legs, bad knees, and have never been described as thin. I'm probably 50lb heavier than my hunting partner, but if I'm down 20lbs and he's up 10lbs, I will be able to out hunt him.

Most gear is personal preference. I will also add that you will find that half the crap midwesterners buy will not go out on a second trip.

my advise;
Get a cpl cow tags on 2nd choice apps, then span the Bull hunts over 2 years. Or, go with a camera for two weeks and no tags. I'd chain a buddies truck to a lamp post before I'd let him burn points on a virgin Elk hunt in WY. Especially when he won't be back to even a GEN area for several years.

As a midwestern hunter who started chasing elk, I am happy to message about some things.

Few thoughts, your bow setup is important, but not near as important as us midwesterners like to think. A strong bolt/arrow (maybe on the heavier side) with a good cut on contact broadhead is all you need. Unless you are shooting some super light arrow with an oversized broadhead, your whitetail setup will kill an elk fine.

Quality binos that are highly accessible are extremely important. I like a chest rig for so many reasons. My binos cost a lot more than my rifle and I have never regretted it.

Great boots are a must and if you think they are broken in, wear them a bit more. Have a backup pair at the truck in case you need them. Brand doesn't matter despite what you might read on here and just because one guy loves Kennetrek doesn't mean they won't shred your feet. I buy my boots at REI because they let me try them (actually wear them) and bring them back until I find a pair that works. It's worth it to me to wear a branch like Oboz, Soloman, or Merrell to have this convenience.

A pack that fits is important. Doesn't matter if you buy it from Mystery Ranch, Sitka, or on sale at REI all can work depending on the situation.

Being in "shape" is a must. Being in shape is less about running a mile in 6 minutes and more about being in the best shape you personally can be in. I'm 5'11" with short legs, bad knees, and have never been described as thin. I'm probably 50lb heavier than my hunting partner, but if I'm down 20lbs and he's up 10lbs, I will be able to out hunt him.

Most gear is personal preference. I will also add that you will find that half the crap midwesterners buy will not go out on a second trip.
The pack and the boots are my next big purchases for the trip. We have boots but they are suited for low land / swamp treestand hunting.

What is recommended to look for in a pack?

The pack and the boots are my next big purchases for the trip. We have boots but they are suited for low land / swamp treestand hunting.

What is recommended to look for in a pack?
Lightweight, good frame with load shelf, enough storage for your intended purpose (day pack, 1-3 days, 3+ days). Tons of good packs out there, I really like my 2015 metcalf that has had tons of use and won’t fail so far.

You looking at a Type 9 tag in the Bighorns? For the points they take, might be better to just look at general

Lightweight, good frame with load shelf, enough storage for your intended purpose (day pack, 1-3 days, 3+ days). Tons of good packs out there, I really like my 2015 metcalf that has had tons of use and won’t fail so far.

You looking at a Type 9 tag in the Bighorns? For the points they take, might be better to just look at general
I will take a look at the metcalf packs.

Put in the draw for a type 4, thought it would provide the best chance of success for both the drawing and the hunt itself. Even though a week in the bighorns hunting with my daughter will be success enough in itself. Bonus, if it goes as planned we will make it back for early doe in Michigan.

Which unit are you thinking of?
While I do not plan to disclose the unit. I strongly suggest pulling the reports on elk from the WFGD site. Very good data in the repor, I was able to narrow my units down to a couple. From there I reviewed the physical capabilities of my daughter and me and narrowed down the units based on specific needs to make it an enjoyable hunt with a decent chance of success.

my advise;
Get a cpl cow tags on 2nd choice apps, then span the Bull hunts over 2 years. Or, go with a camera for two weeks and no tags. I'd chain a buddies truck to a lamp post before I'd let him burn points on a virgin Elk hunt in WY. Especially when he won't be back to even a GEN area for several years.
Good advice there.

Put in the draw for a type 4, thought it would provide the best chance of success for both the drawing and the hunt itself. Even though a week in the bighorns hunting with my daughter will be success enough in itself. Bonus, if it goes as planned we will make it back for early doe in Michigan.
Use the search feature in top right, will really help you with gear options and packs have been excessively discussed. If your first choice is a -4 know your going to lose points if you draw and also if i read it right you plan on bow hunting so will need to purchase the archery permit as well (make sure you understand regs!). If you plan changes and you shift to rifle know that roads can be a issue in bighorns pretty early, most of September you will be fine but easy to get buried for a few days so be prepared. Also no cell, no gas, no amenities once your on top with one exception so pack accordingly. As you said "if goes as planned" you will be home by doe...lol. if you shot 2 cow elk you will not need those little does for freezer. @WapitiBob has good advice above that you should listen to.

If your worried about early doe in MI your not going to get an elk.

Isn't type 4 a full price cow?

Is that where you want to burn your points?

If your worried about early doe in MI your not going to get an elk.

Isn't type 4 a full price cow?

Is that where you want to burn your points?
I’m not worried about a doe in Michigan. I’ll have all season for that. It would just be cool to take a Michigan whitetail and Wyoming elk in the same week.

First choice was a type 1 which we will never get, second choice was a type 4.

I love to fish in the backcountry, but if I have an elk tag in my pocket, I know that I must go in the woods with a burn the ship mentality. No fishing and no grouse hunting or I will forget about elk when I need to climb that next ridge or push through that next quagmire of deadfall.

That's just me; I love the outdoors and am easily distracted.

On the comment about burning points for general instead. There are lots of good options in general tags, but if you have enough points to get you a tag in the bighorns, then spend them there.

I would forget the fishing and just focus on the task at hand. I have never got home from a hunt and wished that I had spent some time fishing. All the other info you need is more than readily available(every hunter that wants to be a YouTube star has a pack dump/gear video:rolleyes:).

my advise;
Boy, the list of type 4 tags you can draw on a second choice, as a non-resident, is getting shorter... I hadn't looked at Wyoming's draw data in a couple of years and it was a shock. There are a bunch of type 4's that now take multiple points as a first choice.

I would have some conversations with your daughter about expectations, how you will hunt, how hard you will hunt, and how long you will hunt. Remember this, when you go elk hunting, you will most often be uncomfortable. You will be too hot, cold, wet, exhausted, tired, fatigued, sore, dirty, and mentally drained. Sometimes all at the same time. Embrace it. Know that it is going to happen. Are you going to take a day off? Are you going to sleep in mid-hunt? Will you be an hour or more off the trail at first light? Will you hunt until dark then start heading back to the trail? Be on the same page as your hunting partner. I took my 17 year old daughter last year. It was awesome. She shot a 5X5. But we had lots of conversations about it to set expectations.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back