Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Wyoming Elk Trip

Use your gear way before the hunt, make sure it all work and fits, get your boots broke in now while it’s cool- no ones wants wear them when it’s 90 degrees out in summer.
The fishing and grouse can get to be a real distraction, my buddy gets “squirreled” easy. He always tries to sneak a collapsible fly rod in his pack. Couple years ago there was a bull bugling and I turned around to talk to him about making a plan and he was fishing.
Best way to solve that is a July/ early Aug scouting trip and then fish some.

• Haha
Reactions: JAG
To be clear, since my fishing idea is drawing some heat, the fly rod is for after an elk is killed. Sometimes you find yourself with some down time on a hunting trip where your tags are filled and what better way to relax and enjoy the country than meditating on a dry fly floating across a mountain pool...?

To be clear, since my fishing idea is drawing some heat, the fly rod is for after an elk is killed. Sometimes you find yourself with some down time on a hunting trip where your tags are filled and what better way to relax and enjoy the country than meditating on a dry fly floating across a mountain pool...?
I only fish with bloody hands.....Or on scouting trips.

The way a spawning brookie hits a lure in the Fall is pretty awesome though.....almost good enough to make me want to go along to be camp cook....

Just realize the realistic expectation of getting an elk is low. However, hunting in Wyoming with my dad and not getting anything are memories I would never trade. As long as you have the right expectations with your daughter, go have have yourself an amazing time! Also, not sure how you hunt whitetails, but you should expect to cover a lot a ground (miles) every day. With some exceptions, this is not like a traditional whitetail bow hunt where you sit over a spot for hours. Glad you have a daughter that you can do this with.

Plan for snow, in 2020 the Bighorns got 8 inches on Labor Day. Wyoming is fun like that, it's happy to drop snow regardless of time of year 😉

Coming from another Michigander, I would think real long about the idea of lugging a crossbow miles and miles through the mountains. Unless you are real comfortable with the idea and/or you have a fancy/new lightweight crossbow, that Midwestern whitetail mindset can spoil some of the better parts of your first ever western hunt. Send me a direct message if you are interested about what I learned my first couple of trips out west after spending two decades hunting whitetails in Michigan!

Not too many units in the Bighorns, or all of Wyoming, can you draw a Type 4 tag with your second choice. The Draw Odds page on the WFGD website is pretty humbling once you fully figure out what you are looking at. Good luck and have fun if you get drawn. Elk are big animals so don't get in too deep that you can't get the meat back out before it spoils.

The pack and the boots are my next big purchases for the trip. We have boots but they are suited for low land / swamp treestand hunting.

What is recommended to look for in a pack?
Check out TideWe for a decent pack. My daughter and I are going to Colorado this fall after cow elk. The TideWe pack won’t break the bank and it’s well made as far as I can tell so far. I bought it and a good pair of boots before deer season opened and used them both on every hunt to get some wear on them both. Packed out a couple deer and it worked great. Good luck!

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back