Wyoming doe tags for unit 102

jrisler

Hi all,

I drew two doe tags for 102 this fall and am excited to explore some new territory in Wyoming. I have onX (the newer 3D view for desktop is pretty cool) and I have a paper map of the MVUM for the bighorn forest. I plan to drive out in my F150 and do some disbursed camping. I did the backpacking thing two year ago in 113. It was fun but finding water became an issue and the 60+ pound pack out wasn't overly fun. I also plan on exploring some ground via bike which will be a new experience for me out west. Anyone hunted this unit before? Wondering if antelope are in the confines of the big horn national forest (I'll be staying out of the wilderness area) or if they'll be more in the eastern more arid areas? Any first hand experience or stories would be appreciated.

Your best bet is going to be one the patches of state land and Bud Love WHMA.

You won't see many antelope in the areas on the Bighorn N.F. that have had fires in the past.

Regarding antelope on the Bighorn N.F. in Hunt Area 102, there is a small herd of antelope that usually hang out west of Buffalo on Hospital Hill.

Other than that the advice rwc101 gave you is spot on.

ClearCreek

When did you last hunt it? Do antelope like the wildfire areas like elk do?

I haven't hunted it. I've hunted them around the southern tip of the Bighorns. Regardless of the mountain range, you're not going to find them in the forested areas, so the state land on the foothills is where you will need to focus.

type 6 tags in 102 are good until Nov 15th. Once rifle opens, POOF, they are all on private, you might catch one public, but not in October. I hunted it last year, A LOT. There's limited public land, but it can be done. I bowhunted it and had good, consistent stalk chances. Gun season started and wife and I went opening day in the afternoon. We saw trucks, and people, lots of trucks and people. We did a LONG walk 2 miles from where trucks can go and found antelope, dead ones, or the remains of morning success for someone.

this continued for a couple of weeks, over those 2-3 weeks traffic dropped off, people dropped off, antelope SLOWLY returned. I thought I had a chance late Oct. Saw a group heading into public land to a water hole. To get there was a 15 minute drive around to where I could get into public, then a 2 mile hike. When I got there I did NOT find the goats, but did see a hunter hiking back out with a backpack of meat and an antelope head.

I did finally get one, on Nov 11th, found 2 bedded and got in on them for a shot.

As for in the bighorns, I don't see them up there usually. Occasionally I will see them in the Hospital Hill area as Clear Creek says, but typically on the hotter summer days.

There is a pretty large public area, I never hunted it due to it runs right up to the Bighorns and it was full of trucks and elk hunters and one person walking through would clear them all out.

I'd recommend coming as late as possible.

I'd recommend coming as late as possible.

Just remember if you come at the very end of the season (later than about Nov. 10) some of the bucks could have shed their horn sheaths and only have a 6-7 inch dark "spike" so they may look like a horned doe. Look for the black cheek patch that is indicative of a buck antelope and avoid these if you have a Type 6 (doe or fawn) license.

ClearCreek

Just remember if you come at the very end of the season (later than about Nov. 10) some of the bucks could have shed their horn sheaths and only have a 6-7 inch dark "spike" so they may look like a horned doe. Look for the black cheek patch that is indicative of a buck antelope and avoid these if you have a Type 6 (doe or fawn) license.

ClearCreek
100% what he said! I shot mine 11/11, it was a small buck (I also had a doe tag), when I grabbed him to roll him over the horn/sheath came off in my hand. Man that stuff underneath is sticky!

That unit sucks
A few little pieces of public that get pounded like a $2 wh&re on nickel night. Try the very end of the season on the wildest antelope you'll ever hunt. If you're able to get a shot under 450 yards you did good.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1st BDX Scope
Back