MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Wyoming Deer/Antelope App Workshop

Heyjbales

Hey all!

As part of my work with the Wyoming Wildlife Federation, I am hosting a live tag application Q & A for nonresidents applying for deer and antelope in Wyoming starting at 6:00 PM TOMORROW night.

I'm first going to do a brief overview of how the system works, but mostly I want to spend time taking specific questions from you guys regarding antelope and deer application situations. I'll give you my two cents and/or provide you with the resources to find out more information if possible.

So, come with questions and I'd love to hash some stuff out with you folks.

Here's the link:

You are doing the Lord's work, my friend. The on-ramp to non-resident limited entry applications can be daunting. Wyoming pronghorn is the Western hunt I suggest for first-time traveler's from the Midwest or East Coast that only know whitetail deer hunting. Pronghorn hunts have high success rates and often is the first of many adventures out West.

You are doing the Lord's work, my friend. The on-ramp to non-resident limited entry applications can be daunting. Wyoming pronghorn is the Western hunt I suggest for first-time traveler's from the Midwest or East Coast that only know whitetail deer hunting. Pronghorn hunts have high success rates and often is the first of many adventures out West.
Man, I appreciate that! I totally agree. I wish I had speedgoat hunting like Wyoming does when I was growing up chasing mulies in Oregon. It's just such a good experience, even on the relatively tough access hunts. It's kind of the focus on what I've dug up for the conversation tomorrow.

Hey all!

As part of my work with the Wyoming Wildlife Federation, I am hosting a live tag application Q & A for nonresidents applying for deer and antelope in Wyoming starting at 6:00 PM TOMORROW night.

I'm first going to do a brief overview of how the system works, but mostly I want to spend time taking specific questions from you guys regarding antelope and deer application situations. I'll give you my two cents and/or provide you with the resources to find out more information if possible.

Here's the link:

Why?

The demand for tags is already too high.

Hey all!

Here's the link:
Finally pulled my elk tag after 13 years

Why?

The demand for tags is already too high.
It's something we definitely think about. Simultaneously trying to help people enjoy hunts, while not reducing opportunities for others is tough. The Wyoming Wildlife Federation views it as more people care about wildlife populations, the more critters we can put on the landscape, and the more hunters we can have out there to chase them.

For instance, nonresident mule deer tags are down from 31k in 2010 to 25k last year. If we can prioritize some good conservation work, we can also increase opportunities and work to offset demand.

It's something we definitely think about. Simultaneously trying to help people enjoy hunts, while not reducing opportunities for others is tough. The Wyoming Wildlife Federation views it as more people care about wildlife populations, the more critters we can put on the landscape, and the more hunters we can have out there to chase them.

For instance, nonresident mule deer tags are down from 31k in 2010 to 25k last year. If we can prioritize some good conservation work, we can also increase opportunities and work to offset demand.
How about supporting 90-10 tag splits for Wyoming residents, the same as most residents get in ID, NM, AZ, MT, etc?

The hunters that do the most, and care the most about wildlife in Wyoming are the Residents that live here.

How about supporting 90-10 tag splits for Wyoming residents, the same as most residents get in ID, NM, AZ, MT, etc?

The hunters that do the most, and care the most about wildlife in Wyoming are the Residents that live here.
Absolutely agree with you there! The Federation wasn't really ever asked why we didn't support the bill, but put on blast by ol Mtn Pursuit. It surely wasn't because we don't want 90-10 but because it was a poorly written bill.

We (myself included) will be at the Wildlife Task Force meetings to advocate for a better draws for resident hunters. I met ya in Laramie a couple of years back at a BHA pint night, but I hope to see ya there in Casper later this month @BuzzH!

Last edited:
Absolutely. I don't recall ever having someone asking the Fedeartion why we didn't support the bill. It surely wasn't because we don't want 90-10 but because it was a poorly written bill.

We (myself included) will be at the Wildlife Task Force meetings to advocate for a better draws for resident hunters. I met ya in Laramie a couple of years back at a BHA pint night, but I hope to see ya there in Casper later this month @BuzzH!
Lots to worry about on that task force...and yes, I'll be there.

Absolutely agree with you there! The Federation wasn't really ever asked why we didn't support the bill, but put on blast by ol Mtn Pursuit. It surely wasn't because we don't want 90-10 but because it was a poorly written bill.

@Heyjbales which 90/10 bill are you speaking about, this year or last year? If you are talking about this year, how was it poorly written?

@Heyjbales which 90/10 bill are you speaking about, this year or last year? If you are talking about this year, how was it poorly written?
We opposed the 2020 bill. Did not oppose the 2021 bill. I'll clarify in more detail with your DM! 👍

Back