Wyoming Corner Crossing Defense Fund

Always uneasy but I feel like the jury will have reasonable doubt.
For the hunters, any win is a win, but for the broader issue, wouldn't we prefer the judge to give the aerial trespass instructions, get a "guilty" and press on appeal? A jury finding of reasonable doubt does nothing to advance the broader conversation or am I missing something?

I would still prefer a trial loss and appeal win to advance our cause. Public land users need this case to "lose on the law" at the district level, not "win on the facts" (reasonable doubt).

(my apologies to the hunters, as that just makes their life more difficult and more expensive)

Yesterday one of the attorneys (or the judge) made a reference to a previous "not guilty" case being irrelevant, saying something like "the only thing it proved was the State failed to provide enough evidence to prove their case." The attorney in Newberg's podcast said something in the same vein, that is, the outcome depends on the "particular facts."

I'm not sure the outcome of this case will accomplish much as it's simply whether or not a particular state law was proven to be broken. However, the civil case might address the real issue of rights to block access.

Is the stream on? I hear nothing.

I've got nothing on the stream either. It's killing me. I was really looking forward to listening in this morning.

Yesterday one of the attorneys (or the judge) made a reference to a previous "not guilty" case being irrelevant, saying something like "the only thing it proved was the State failed to provide enough evidence to prove their case." The attorney in Newberg's podcast said something in the same vein, that is, the outcome depends on the "particular facts."

I'm not sure the outcome of this case will accomplish much as it's simply whether or not a particular state law was proven to be broken. However, the civil case might address the real issue of rights to block access.

Is the stream on? I hear nothing.
That's my point. We are "benefited" by an "error" in the application of the law by the trial judge (such as providing the aerial trespass instruction) as we can then appeal that and have a higher court "fix" it - that is how the common law is changed/modernized, and how bad legislation can be trimmed, bent or reversed by a court. A jury's "particular facts" win changes nothing.

That's my point. We are "benefited" by an "error" in the application of the law by the trial judge (such as providing the aerial trespass instruction) as we can then appeal that and have a higher court "fix" it - that is how the common law is changed/modernized, and how bad legislation can be trimmed, bent or reversed by a court. A jury's "particular facts" win changes nothing.
I agree a higher court will carry more weight than a jury decision, but I think you missed my main point. It's a criminal case, not one that addresses the right to block access; therefore, it matters little at what level this case is decided because the circumstances of the next case will be different (particular facts). I've heard this over and over the last five years, the last time was on Randy's podcast with the two attorneys.

It would obviously be better if they are found innocent of the crime at some level. I would say being found not guilty is "necessary, but not sufficient" to resolve the issue, but it needs to be solved in a different venue.

A jury's "particular facts" win changes nothing.
I'm going to actually disagree here.

If the jury today finds the hunters not guilty of criminal trespass for their actions carefully corner crossing, I think at least for the time being it will send a message to the public and landowners that it is a waste of time to bother with trying to get the public cited for criminal trespass in the state of Wyoming if they are corner crossing. So it will at least put an end to that part of it. Not the civil part, but at least the criminal part.

I agree a higher court will carry more weight than a jury decision, but I think you missed my main point. It's a criminal case, not one that addresses the right to block access; therefore, it matters little at what level this case is decided because the circumstances of the next case will be different (particular facts). I've heard this over and over the last five years, the last time was on Randy's podcast with the two attorneys.

It would obviously be better if they are found innocent of the crime at some level. I would say being found not guilty is "necessary, but not sufficient" to resolve the issue, but it needs to be solved in a different venue.
So, if the criminal trial doesn't matter then why did we rally around the BHA fundraiser - just an act of hunter charity? That was rhetorical. The criminal trial does matter and can fundamentally change the law - most of the early civil rights cases were advanced in this manner. Criminal trials can absolutely change legal outcomes beyond their specific fact scenario - there are literally thousands of examples.

For example, if the judge gives the "aerial trespass statute" instruction and basis that the jury finds them guilty, and on appeal, a higher court decides that the statute cannot apply to corners with federal lands under some pre-emption logic (I am not trying to make a specific winning argument, just using a hypothetical example of how criminal convictions later change the law) then for all federal corners in the state, aerial trespass can never be charged - a nice win indeed.

I'm going to actually disagree here.

If the jury today finds the hunters not guilty of criminal trespass for their actions carefully corner crossing, I think at least for the time being it will send a message to the public and landowners that it is a waste of time to bother with trying to get the public cited for criminal trespass in the state of Wyoming if they are corner crossing. So it will at least put an end to that part of it. Not the civil part, but at least the criminal part.
If a jury decides a drunk/sleeping person in a car is not guilty of DUI 'cuz they weren't actually driving, that does not reduce enforcement in this manner as the next jury may decide the opposite. And the risk is always with the defendant that the next jury decides the opposite. Local jury decisions have almost zero impact on law enforcement activities even in that county, let alone another county across the state. You would need a bunch of jury wins in a row to change the calculus, and even then a cranky prosecutor could charge.

In the alternative, if the jury convicts and the MN state supreme rules that the law cannot apply to any such person who is not actively driving at the time of arrest, then the issue is done for all drivers in all jurisdictions in the entire state. A much much better outcome if that is your goal.

Last edited:
Pretty obvious which side the judge is on by the jury instructions.
I have not listened so I can't comment if the judge is somehow showing personal bias (which of course would be bad), but on the matter of corner crossing, the literal state law is on the landowner's side and the judge is doing their job by acting accordingly. It is the appellate ruling that moves the position of the law in our favor - I want non-activist judges in the local courts to apply the law as written. I leave it to appeal courts and legislatures to shape/change the law.

If a jury decides a drunk/sleeping person in a car is not guilty of DUI 'cuz they weren't actually driving, that does not reduce enforcement in this manner as the next jury may decide the opposite. And the risk is always with the defendant that the next jury decides the opposite. Local jury decisions have almost zero impact on law enforcement activities even in that county, let alone another county across the state. You would need a bunch of jury wins in a row to change the calculus, and even then a cranky prosecutor could charge.

In the alternative, if the jury convicts and the MN state supreme rules that the law cannot apply to any such person who is not actively driving at the time of arrest, then the issue is done for all drivers in all jurisdictions in the entire state. A much much better outcome if that is your goal.
Again, I will disagree because I think your example does not match this particular scenario in this case.

If today they are found not guilty by the jury and lets say Fred E. tomorrow decides to drop his civil case because he is tired of spending money and wants to move on with his life, here is what I see happening:

Myself, along with a bunch of others I presume, will be changing my Wyoming application to put that unit as a second choice (some may even go for first choice). I'm going to do this because I strongly believe that the ranch manager and/or Fred E. himself isn't going to be calling the sheriff's office this fall for every single person they watch "corner cross". There will likely be a dozen of us doing so.

Again, I will disagree because I think your example does not match this particular scenario in this case.

If today they are found not guilty by the jury and lets say Fred E. tomorrow decides to drop his civil case because he is tired of spending money and wants to move on with his life, here is what I see happening:

Myself, along with a bunch of others I presume, will be changing my Wyoming application to put that unit as a second choice (some may even go for first choice). I'm going to do this because I strongly believe that the ranch manager and/or Fred E. himself isn't going to be calling the sheriff's office this fall for every single person they watch "corner cross". There will likely be a dozen of us doing so.
The "I dare you to arrest me" approach to changing bad laws is a terrible way to run a government.

You didn't need this case to do it, and I don't see a simple jury "innocent" verdict as adding much of any value to the folks (like myself and others on this forum) who have corner-crossed in the past under this approach.

We didn't need a BHA fund to keep doing it, we didn't need 1,200 posts to do it, we didn't need to listen to hours of boring trial audio to do it. Just do it.

I think the reason many of us donated and followed this was because we want the law changed/clarified so we don't have to play the "arrest me if you dare" game.

Also, if you look at other areas of the law/disputes, this kind of approach just ratchets up tensions and disputes. It also invites the legislature to "fix" the law so the next jury has no choice but to convict.

So this is more rhetorical than anything. I understand this court's decision will not set a legal precedent which has been covered many times. But how about in the court of public opinion? Many news outlets will run with the story and mention something to the effect of "hunters win corner crossing case". I see benefits from that exposure more so than the actual legal precedent. IF they are found not guilty.

So this is more rhetorical than anything. I understand this court's decision will not set a legal precedent which has been covered many times. But how about in the court of public opinion? Many news outlets will run with the story and mention something to the effect of "hunters win corner crossing case". I see benefits from that exposure more so than the actual legal precedent. IF they are found not guilty.
Fair question. In my view, hard to see a not guilty verdict being seen by large western landowners and locals in these very rural western spaces as a reason to embrace the cause of non-res hunters.

The "I dare you to arrest me" approach to changing bad laws is a terrible way to run a government.

You didn't need this case to do it, and I don't see a simple jury "innocent" verdict as adding much of any value to the folks (like myself and others on this forum) who have corner-crossed in the past under this approach.

We didn't need a BHA fund to keep doing it, we didn't need 1,200 posts to do it, we didn't need to listen to hours of boring trial audio to do it. Just do it.

I think the reason many of us donated and followed this was because we want the law changed/clarified so we don't have to play the "arrest me if you dare" game.

Also, if you look at other areas of the law/disputes, this kind of approach just ratchets up tensions and disputes. It also invites the legislature to "fix" the law so the next jury has no choice but to convict.
I don't argue anything about the points you are making but you were arguing on the fact that a not guilty verdict does nothing. I was just trying to prove to you that it does. Its likely short term and likely a very local impact (that region of WY and possibly the entire state) but it certainly is going to increase the amount of people willing to corner cross knowing that the likelihood of getting a criminal trespass ticket will go down.

Fair question. In my view, hard to see a not guilty verdict being seen by large western landowners and locals in these very rural western spaces as a reason to embrace the cause of non-res hunters.
This isn't just non-res hunters. Resident hunters have just as big of a stake in this.

As does anyone who wants to corner cross to recreate on public lands in this situation. In fact, getting mountain bikers, hikers, rock climbers, snowmobilers, etc on board will only help.

Back