Wyoming called...she is looking for her preference point money.

The way I see it you have two choices:
1) You take your $124 and get a point for lope, deer and elk in Wyoming
2) You take your $124 and buy 6 cases of beer or 5 bottles of liquor and be stocked up for a couple months ( or weeks or even maybe days depending on the individual)

Right now, at least for Wyoming, choice 1 trumps. Even with the bad news for NR hunting in Wyoming in the near future. Pray for a recession to hit hard if all you care about is hunting!

Man I don't know what to do. I just started buying points 2 years ago, so sitting on 2 points each for lope, deer and elk. I don't have the finances to play multiple states so I put all my dough in Wyoming. I hate to abort now. What's some of y'all's thoughts.

The way I see it you have two choices:
1) You take your $124 and get a point for lope, deer and elk in Wyoming
2) You take your $124 and buy 6 cases of beer or 5 bottles of liquor and be stocked up for a couple months ( or weeks or even maybe days depending on the individual)

Right now, at least for Wyoming, choice 1 trumps. Even with the bad news for NR hunting in Wyoming in the near future. Pray for a recession to hit hard if all you care about is hunting!
What bad news you think may be coming? I’ll have 5 elk points by 2024 to hopefully draw the general again. That’s the plan anyways.

Man I don't know what to do. I just started buying points 2 years ago, so sitting on 2 points each for lope, deer and elk. I don't have the finances to play multiple states so I put all my dough in Wyoming. I hate to abort now. What's some of y'all's thoughts.
You are Ok, Jack. Just realize that Antelope and Elk may be once-in-a-lifetime tags for you, because of point creep. Over the next decade, you'll be able to draw a decent Deer, Elk, and Antelope tag, and you'll have 3 trips to WY in the bag. Just pray that WY doesn't go to a 90/10!

When I really got serious about hunting out west, which has always been a dream I knew elk was going to be a once in a lifetime tag. But was kinda hoping I could chase deer and antelope every couple years alternating between the two. Don't have the extra cash to go with an outfitter plus the outfitters here in kentucky have kinda rubbed me sour with their tactics and personally just don't really care for outfitters. But your right 3 trips is better than none. And the only way to draw is to stay in the game. Thanks Bam!

If you go for a mule deer tag with your 3 points next year, feel free to shoot me a PM. I know that the drawing systems and public land accessibility out West can be confusing for newcomers. I wouldn't want you to waste a hunt that you've been planning for years. 3 preference points is good enough for a decent deer tag, but you should plan on needing 5-7 points for a decent elk and antelope tag (because of point creep).

If you go for a mule deer tag with your 3 points next year, feel free to shoot me a PM. I know that the drawing systems and public land accessibility out West can be confusing for newcomers. I wouldn't want you to waste a hunt that you've been planning for years. 3 preference points is good enough for a decent deer tag, but you should plan on needing 5-7 points for a decent elk and antelope tag (because of point creep).
Okay thanks, will do.

If had just 2 points, I would abort. I may put in for elk (currently at 9) and maybe 'lopes (5?). But I and doubtful that this is a smart strategy. NR big game is just about over so far as I'm concerned. At least in the lower west.

I’m in the same boat, WY is the only state outside of MT that I’ve had the cash to purchase points, and I only have a few. Planning on / hoping to try each species once and staggering them out over the next decade.

Contrary to what BamBam said, I’ll probably try for general elk next year with the points I have just cause I’m impatient and would really like to hunt elk in WY.

I just spent $315 ish yesterday on points for the whole fam… I’ll stay in it for now anyway, maybe after we spend points in the next 1-4 years maybe I’ll quit and just do Random(I do this already for Nevada)
Matt

If had just 2 points, I would abort. I may put in for elk (currently at 9) and maybe 'lopes (5?). But I and doubtful that this is a smart strategy. NR big game is just about over so far as I'm concerned. At least in the lower west.
This is horrible advice and completely wrong. With two points for each he could do antelope next year with 3, deer the following with 4, and elk as soon as he can draw a general tag after that and have great hunts for all three.

I plan to keep buying and will start applying for more random tags. Its hard to tell what the future may hold so I see no reason not to keep some faith

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back