Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Wyoming Bighorn MTN Region Whitetail

LRHFox

Hello,

My group and I are making our second trip to Wyoming this year, first for Mule Deer. (We had a successful pronghorn hunt in eastern Wyoming last year). We drew a region Y tag with the intent to go after mulies, it appears that the potential for whitetails exist in the areas off of the bighorn mountains. I understand they typically hang in areas near ag and water in the low lands, curious for those that frequent the area or have hunted the region before if you ever ran into any while chasing mulies? Also curious what kind of specimens (size) that were found, were they always on private or did you find some on public?

We are a DIY group and are looking for opportunities to get away from people, which might be a challenge on public. If anyone has experience in this area for mule deer as well, I would love to pick your brain a bit.

Just from driving through a few times, highest whitetails I’ve seen were only a mile or two out of town, then it switches to muleys, especially on the east side. Small sample, maybe, but I’d definitely look on the lower edges for whitetails.

Just from driving through a few times, highest whitetails I’ve seen were only a mile or two out of town, then it switches to muleys, especially on the east side. Small sample, maybe, but I’d definitely look on the lower edges for whitetails.
Beagle- thanks for the reply.
Did you ever lay eyes on any bucks? Any decent sized animals?

Beagle- thanks for the reply.
Did you ever lay eyes on any bucks? Any decent sized animals?
Couple small ones. I know an outfitter that guides that area and a good representative buck would be 120-130 inches. You’ll find bigger, obviously, but I’d be squeezing on any three year old buck

We've hunted deer and antelope in what would be deer unit 24 for the last couple of years. Doe tags. We've seen numerous whitetails does and bucks, mostly on private land in or near ag fields (alfalfa). Literally, just drive around outside Dayton or Ranchester and you'll see some nice ones. Just gotta get that permission though. The game and fish office in Sheridan typically has a list of landowners and their phone numbers, that allow hunting on their property with permission. If I recall, there's a couple in that unit that allow whitetail hunting. If you call that office, the nice lady there will email you the list (she did for me anyways).

Couple small ones. I know an outfitter that guides that area and a good representative buck would be 120-130 inches. You’ll find bigger, obviously, but I’d be squeezing on any three year old buck
Thanks Beagle. That's fair, I know there are some dandies' that exist out there but it sounds like they can be hard to find.

Ever see any good mulies in the area?

We've hunted deer and antelope in what would be deer unit 24 for the last couple of years. Doe tags. We've seen numerous whitetails does and bucks, mostly on private land in or near ag fields (alfalfa). Literally, just drive around outside Dayton or Ranchester and you'll see some nice ones. Just gotta get that permission though. The game and fish office in Sheridan typically has a list of landowners and their phone numbers, that allow hunting on their property with permission. If I recall, there's a couple in that unit that allow whitetail hunting. If you call that office, the nice lady there will email you the list (she did for me anyways).
Bpitt, great piece of info. Thanks! I need to reach out to G&F it sounds like.

LRH Fox, I was up around Kaycee WY in March, scouting for Pronghorn and deer. There are quite a few Whitetails near town and the closer to Kaycee, the better. If you get permission to hunt farmland anywhere in the area, you should have no trouble seeing either Whitetails or Mule Deer. I didn't find many Mulies on public land (Deer Units 33 and 169), but I did see plenty of them on private. Good luck!

Last edited:
LRH Fox, I was up around Kaycee WY in March, scouting for Pronghorn and deer. There are quite a few Whitetails near town and the closer to Kaycee, the better. If you get permission to hunt farmland anywhere in the area, you should have no trouble seeing either Whitetails or Mule Deer. I didn't find many Mulies on public land (Deer Units 33 and 169), but I did see plenty of them on private. Good luck!
Thanks Bam Bam. Good info!
Good luck chasing goats this year!

This. Look for pivots with adjacent cottonwoods or brushy creek bottoms. Then go knock on doors. I have seen a few bucks in the 140-150 range all munching alfalfa.

This. Look for pivots with adjacent cottonwoods or brushy creek bottoms. Then go knock on doors. I have seen a few bucks in the 140-150 range all munching alfalfa.
Most of that ground with pivots is already leased to outfitters, not to mention that the pressure in any nearby public is brutal. I would be more creative if it was up to me. Ymmv..

Is a tag for Mule Deer the same as Whitetail or are they separate?
Someone correct me if I am wrong, but my understanding is that they are the same tag and are “deer” tags, not species specific.

Reactions: JAG
Back