Yeti GOBOX Collection

Wyoming - Area 68

kyledoskocil

My cousin, brother and myself were fortunate enough to draw Wyoming non-resident area 68 antelope buck tags this year. I have hunted a different area in Wyoming with an outfitter a few years back and was successful. Since this area has plenty of BLM land we were thinking about a DIY hunt especially since we drew as a group. If anyone has any tips, advice, recommendations on places to stay, areas of the unit to target please feel free to reach out. We are still considering possibly hunting with an outfitter but wanted to get some input from you guys to see which route would be the best bet for us.

Thanks!

I hunted a nearby unit a few years back. Your biggest problem will be trying not to tag out in the first hour. Not much need for an outfitter. Will you fly or drive out?

That's arguably among the best antelope tags in Wyoming for access, goat numbers, and goat size. If you know how to use a gps, you would be a fool to use an outfitter on that tag. My opinion.

Wow, what awesome luck! Do not hire an outfitter. Take a day or two to scout. You'll have a lot of good options in that unit.

I hunted a nearby unit a few years back. Your biggest problem will be trying not to tag out in the first hour. Not much need for an outfitter. Will you fly or drive out?

That is the consensus I am gathering. I have heard lots of numbers just be selective and you will find a good one. We are coming from Texas and due to time constraints I think flying is going to be the only option. Planning on renting a car and still doing research on which city to stay in to give me the best advantage I.E. Rawlins, Alcova or Jeffrey City.

That's arguably among the best antelope tags in Wyoming for access, goat numbers, and goat size. If you know how to use a gps, you would be a fool to use an outfitter on that tag. My opinion.

Yes sir! I have been on OnX everyday since I found out trying to get a lay of the land. Seems like a lot of access roads and even vantage spots from main highways/county roads. Thanks for the advice!

Wow, what awesome luck! Do not hire an outfitter. Take a day or two to scout. You'll have a lot of good options in that unit.

I think due to time constraints I may not be able to come up before the season and scout but I think doing a 3-4 day hunt we will be very selective. Possibly using the first day or two as more of scouting days to get an idea of what caliber goats we are working with. Thanks for the tips!

Welcome. That’s a great tag. Make sure your access roads are public. Check some of the old threads on here - they contain more info than you’ll need. You certainly don’t need a guide to tag three nice animals, but it might make the trip more enjoyable for you. Good luck.

Hunted next door in 106 in 2017. I don’t even think you need a GPS in those units there is so much public land. A BLM topo map and a little bit of paying attention and you’ll have a great hunt. Take your time. Be selective. Learn a little bit about how to judge antelope on the hoof, and you should be able to find a nice buck. It’s great country. One tip: I would NOT stay in Jeffrey City. Interesting history but the motel is in pretty tough shape. Camping would be cleaner.

Yes sir! I have been on OnX everyday since I found out trying to get a lay of the land. Seems like a lot of access roads and even vantage spots from main highways/county roads. Thanks for the advice!
Remember that if you can get somewhere away from the main vantage points even if it's one hill over from the one you can easily get to from the two track or main road you'll be amazed at how many more critters you'll run into.

If you cant get a pronghorn in 68 without a guide i suggest you take up knitting! Thats the next area im saving points for.

Spend some time on the county website and find out which roads are public.

The only reason to get a guide is for accuracy in judging...otherwise paying for a guide in a unit Ray Charles could find an antelope is silly.

I hunted this unit in 2018. We were planning on camping on BLM land, but stumbled onto the Green Mountain Motel in Jeffrey City. We opted to stay there and it worked out the great. The owner let us use the shop on the property to hang and skin our antelope along with letting us use his cooler to store and cool or antelope. Great people and would recommend staying there (no fancy, but clean). Like others have mentioned, the hardest part of this hunt is not squeezing the trigger in the first 20 minutes of the hunt. Paved highways border this unit to the east and to the south along with a good dirt road bordering the unit to the north. There is another good dirt road that skirts the western part of the unit. We spent the first day driving the perimeter roads of the unit and just getting a feel for the lay of the land. Probably saw at least 75-100 mature bucks. After spending all day looking at antelope bucks, I felt I had a pretty good feel for the quality of bucks available that year. It was a really fun, relaxing hunt and if you search Hunt Talk you'll find my hunt report with photos included. We hunted the second week of season.

Back