PEAX Equipment

Wyoming area 41 type 2

BlueLine

Anyone have any experience with the area 41 type 2 tag? Planning to put in for the general tag but with 4 points I’m worried we might draw due to point creep. Looks like the type 2 tag can be drawn as a second choice so I’m looking into it as a backup option. I’m assuming there’s a reason this tag is so easy to draw but idk what it is. Looks like plenty of public land to hunt and I’d think snow would push elk down to blm and make for a decent hunt but there’s got to be a catch. Can someone with experience enlighten me?

Anyone have any experience with the area 41 type 2 tag? Planning to put in for the general tag but with 4 points I’m worried we might draw due to point creep. Looks like the type 2 tag can be drawn as a second choice so I’m looking into it as a backup option. I’m assuming there’s a reason this tag is so easy to draw but idk what it is. Looks like plenty of public land to hunt and I’d think snow would push elk down to blm and make for a decent hunt but there’s got to be a catch. Can someone with experience enlighten me?
In my recent research, it sounds like a lot of elk up there are in the wilderness until a storm comes, then they shoot down to private pretty quickly.
Just what I've heard. I don't have any experience there.

Here is another hint - if you do some real hard research on this forum, you can discover a thread containing this hunt from last year. It very likely could influence your decision to apply for this hunt. That is unless this person decides to comment on this thread and remove the fun of all that hard research!

Both comments are correct, despite the amount of public you see on mapping software this tag is deceptively tough to hunt, the elk hang out on private without access. I'm guessing it won't go as a second choice this year

If you are not familiar with the area, the vast majorty of those elk hang up in private before making it to the BLM. And, it is steep as a MFer.

I’m gonna go against the grain here and say there are plenty of elk on accessible public land well into January. Don’t worry about the wilderness and private down below, there are bulls you can always get to, just have to put in the work.

Yeah, the second choice deal last year was an anomaly. It will take some points this year especially because it’s catching eyes this year with the lack of demand last year.

There are a lot of elk in that area. You will have to apply first choice and use some points to draw that this year.

Like all of us I've seen dozens of posts where someone says "you posting this isn't helping your odds" but I can't think of a better example than this. Do you realize just how many more people this year would have to apply as a first choice in the regular for it to not draw out at second choice? Four. This thread was created just over 13 hours ago and already has 230 views. Because of the way WY splits up their tags and the low quantity of non-resident LE tags, most tags are only a handful of people away from swinging the draw wildly one direction or the other.

Like others have already said there's absolutely zero chance that tag goes second choice this year, regardless of how hard the hunt is. Last year was an anomaly and this hunt will likely start to pendulum like others have in the past. Whatever you draw this year, good luck and post up some pics!

Like all of us I've seen dozens of posts where someone says "you posting this isn't helping your odds" but I can't think of a better example than this. Do you realize just how many more people this year would have to apply as a first choice in the regular for it to not draw out at second choice? Four. This thread was created just over 13 hours ago and already has 230 views. Because of the way WY splits up their tags and the low quantity of non-resident LE tags, most tags are only a handful of people away from swinging the draw wildly one direction or the other.

Like others have already said there's absolutely zero chance that tag goes second choice this year, regardless of how hard the hunt is. Last year was an anomaly and this hunt will likely start to pendulum like others have in the past. Whatever you draw this year, good luck and post up some pics!
Rookie mistake! Some good advise to the OP and anyone else as far as that goes. Don't go on any internet site asking about the unit before you even apply in the draw. You probably just recruited 20 other people with more points than you searching the unit now and checking into it. As a matter of fact at this point unless it's a darn near impossible tag to draw you won't ever see this guy name units ever again on a public forum. I'd update my post before 20 more are checking on the unit.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samcarp
Back