Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Wyoming antelope

kevinfoerster

Hi all,

My group has 5.25 points going into the 2022 antelope draw in wyoming. Our main goal of the hunt is to see and hunt in some beautiful country. We would like to be able to do some fishing and potentially grouse hunting once antelope tags are filled. Antelope size isn't nearly as important as drawing the tag. Just want to get a buck over 70 inched if that is reasonable with a rifle. Lastly want to avoid a mad dash with a bunch of guys hunting in the area. Open to thoughts on units or you can text me and we can take it off line as I'm new to whoming antelope. I've only hunted wyoming once for bison with a bow and took a cow on the new. 815 451 1051. Thanks guys.

Main units I'm thinking about are 32, 47, and 73

70 is reasonable in any unit at that point level. Just make sure you put in for one where you can draw the tag and then go have a great hunt. I’m sure any of those units would be good.

If you want to avoid the mad dash then avoid opening weekend, just realize that some good bucks will get killed opening weekend but plenty will be left

All 3 are good tags, but I think you’d have to apply in the special to feel confident about drawing any of them at your point level.

It feels like these threads are starting early this year.

I'm also heading to WY for antelope again this year. We're thinking about staying in Douglas and applying for 26. I see tons of private, some accessible public. Anyone have experience there? We have no points, which is one reason I'm looking at 26. Comments? Advice?

I'm also heading to WY for antelope again this year. We're thinking about staying in Douglas and applying for 26. I see tons of private, some accessible public. Anyone have experience there? We have no points, which is one reason I'm looking at 26. Comments? Advice?
I private messaged you. Disregard. Seems you have figured out the Forum setup. Sorry for instructions not needed.

Check the Walk-in and HMAs for that area. In my young and dumb days, it used to be easy to get permission to hunt antelope on private but the new generation of landowners seem very stingy. Sometimes if you ask, some of them will let you shoot antelope as long as you don't drive off the roads.

Odds aren’t much north of 50% in the regular draw. Based on my experience in “better” low point units I wouldn’t spend the special price - I’d hunt something else. I probably wouldn’t even spend the regular price without access to some private land. Good luck. I’d be interested to hear how you do if you go that route.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wyohandscold
Back