Wyoming Antelope with three points

Been hunting WY antelope for three years myself. Have been intentionally choosing long shot as 1st choice and hunting second choice while I build points. Disclosure: Have been buying the special tag. Have filled tags each year in second choice areas. Go shoot goats. Don't let the fear of the unknown rob your joy. Go hunting.

So I have three Wyoming antelope points. I am worried that they will push the new bill in Wyoming through and I will not be able to hunt because of the tag cost. I have never taken an antelope, I would like a good representative buck. Just wondering what all of you would do? It’s a tricky spot to be in with three antelope points in Wyoming it seems.
I memory serves, that bill died in committee a month or so ago.

Been hunting WY antelope for three years myself. Have been intentionally choosing long shot as 1st choice and hunting second choice while I build points. Disclosure: Have been buying the special tag. Have filled tags each year in second choice areas. Go shoot goats. Don't let the fear of the unknown rob your joy. Go hunting.
So your points aren't used on 2nd choice draws?

So I have three Wyoming antelope points. I am worried that they will push the new bill in Wyoming through and I will not be able to hunt because of the tag cost. I have never taken an antelope, I would like a good representative buck. Just wondering what all of you would do? It’s a tricky spot to be in with three antelope points in Wyoming it seems.
Legislature is not in session now. That bill that restricts tags going to NRs failed. It comes up every year but never garners enough support to make it. I would not worry until it becomes time to worry, like even making it out of committee.

If I were in your shoes I’d pick a >1 unit regular draw and go during archery season, then come back with rifle for a second trip later on if you haven't filled the tag yet. You have plenty of time between now and then to mow some lawns, deliver pizzas, etc. over the summer to fund your WY trips.

With the looming threat of NR quota reduction to 10% and doubling the price of the tag, I anticipate a lot of hunters will be dumping their points this year, or at least attempting to. Last year I hunted a <1 unit during rifle and it became immediately clear that if I had come during archery, there would be nearly unlimited opportunity to scout the buck I wanted and pursue him on public ground.

I've had some good hunts in the northeast corner of Wyoming. You just have to manage expectations and wait for the antelope to cross onto public.

Take a long weekend and make the trip to Wyoming to hunt even if its only with a doe tag in your pocket.

Back