Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Wyoming antelope & whitetail (private land)

pointingdogsrule

Headed west from Iowa for my annual antelope hunt. This year I headed out 3 days early and took in a whitetail hunt in the Black Hills of Wyoming. I arrived at my friend Walter's ranch and scoped out all the whitetails. I had 2 doe tags in hand. Looking to fill the freezer with meat. This year I took the crossbow. I had never shot the crossbow at an animal (just target practice). I set up my stand on Thursday afternoon and waited for the deer to enter the alfalfa fields. Many deer came by, however, no shot. I thought that they would travel the well worn trail.... well I was wrong. They seemed to travel behind every branch on the Burr Oak that I was sitting in :( The next morning more deer exiting the field and once more they traveled everywhere but where I needed them to be. Actually had one doe walk directly in and under my tree. Just no shot opportunity. While sitting there I noticed 15 deer exiting the field and walking under one particular tree. That afternoon I moved my stand and hoped that the wind would be in a good direction in the morning. Next morning I see a deer in the low light exit the field and walk in front of me (too dark to shoot). It did not wind me so I was happy. As I was watching the field... from my right... coming out of the woods comes a doe. 10 yards... and a perfect shot. She goes down 50 yards away. I re-@#)(# the bow and wait. Another doe comes down the hill 4 minutes later at 5 yards. Another doe down.
attachment.php

With the deer quartered and on ice I headed to Wright to meet up with my brother Mark and his wife Virginia. My turkey hunting friend from Nebraska, Thomas also joined us. We set up camp in the Rochelle Hills. One of my most favorite places. Thomas had a pull behind and my brother a camper unit.
attachment.php

attachment.php

Virginia was on her first antelope hunt and just wanted a "representative" buck. She was first to shoot and we found her a nice buck for this ranch. She made a very nice 170 yard shot.
attachment.php

Mark and Thomas were "trophy" hunting (at least a trophy on this ranch which really doesn't produce great bucks). We looked over many bucks until we spotted one 800 yards away. We checked him out and Mark liked him. A 260 yard shot and he was down. Mark was so happy. Nice mass, nice cutters. A good buck for this ranch.
attachment.php

Thomas was getting really picky. I would have shot lots of antelope. We had a report from another group of hunters that they had seen an antelope with lots of mass and good cutters. We located him and Thomas made a 400 yard shot.
attachment.php

I ended the hunt with a doe. Five antelope in a day wasn't that bad for us :)
attachment.php

A great time with family and friends. A great trip.

good luck to all
the dog

Looks like you will be eating well this winter. Congratulations to you and your crew. Nice animals all around.

Congrats on the great hunt. Posts like these get me pumped up for my annual trip to Wyoming in a couple weeks.

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samcarp
Back