Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Wyoming Antelope Unit 21

archerynut21

I am eyeing this unit to hunt antelope but I am seeing differing opinions from different sources. Does anyone have any advice or just general thoughts on the unit?

Pretty sure if it is in WY, there are antelope. I hunted two of the hardest units last year and was into antelope at least a few times. If you are going archery, you may want make sure there are koolies and such to get in a proper spot and stalk. If you are going rifle, just make sure you know where public vs. private boundaries are. If there are WIA's, they "might" be productive on opening day but will be heavily hunted.

I am eyeing this unit to hunt antelope but I am seeing differing opinions from different sources. Does anyone have any advice or just general thoughts on the unit?
In easy to draw WY units, animals are a given, it is land access that is the challenge. You definitely want a plan for where you are going to actually find allowable ground to hunt.

Worst type 1 harvest rate in the entire state. Probably a reason for that, not sure what it is, but you should find out if you have a plan for that.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210305-081505_Drive.jpg
    Screenshot_20210305-081505_Drive.jpg
    498.2 KB · Views: 95
Haven't hunted 21 but hunted 113 last season, the unit next to it. A lot of presure in 21 in a short time. Every ones we talked to in town was hunting that unit. There are a lot of tags on a short season Oct 15 to the 30. Were most units with that amount of tags are a month season.

Kind of an annoying tag in the grand scheme of central Wyoming antelope. Deer season coincides with antelope and there are lots of hunters around. I drew it on third choice this year and saw plenty on private. Shot this little guy on the second day. I’d hunt it again if I had to.
F8572DFB-4CB9-4F6E-9A19-BD446E9B1C0A.jpeg

I hunted it in 2019. There was a lot of people running around for sure but I really like the area and saw plenty of goats. For that reason alone I will go back.

I hunted it in 2019. There was a lot of people running around for sure but I really like the area and saw plenty of goats. For that reason alone I will go back.
You didn’t take your atv up toward the hole in the wall a couple nights before the opener did you?

Haven't hunted 21 but hunted 113 last season, the unit next to it. A lot of presure in 21 in a short time. Every ones we talked to in town was hunting that unit. There are a lot of tags on a short season Oct 15 to the 30. Were most units with that amount of tags are a month season.
How was the pressure in 113?

It was not as bad as we expected or read on the internet. We hunted during the week on a type 2 license we would see people driving a lot but no one out hiking, getting away from the roads. 2 of us went out there and both taged out easily we found a spot of blm you cold not drive in to and started walking got in to them 2 miles and had some stalks. Wear we were we could see wear we parked from 3 miles away and would see 4 or 5 people drive up there look around then drive out no one was hiking back a little ways. I think we will go back there again this year. I would real like to go back on a type 1 and be there opening day.

In Wyo, if its flat and there is public ground, you are good to go. There are even goats in hills. Just make sure you have lots of ground to cover and some good binoculars. I can't tell you how many times I've looked across the countryside and saw nothing until I put my binos up.

Pretty sure if it is in WY, there are antelope. I hunted two of the hardest units last year and was into antelope at least a few times. If you are going archery, you may want make sure there are koolies and such to get in a proper spot and stalk. If you are going rifle, just make sure you know where public vs. private boundaries are. If there are WIA's, they "might" be productive on opening day but will be heavily hunted.
I'm actually going to scout that area this summer. Its rugged on the west side, a bit less so on the east. Type 1 success is about 60%. It sounds viable.

There is pretty much one road circuit to run the public land in 21 and it gets run around the clock by everyone with a tag. If you see something, you better get after it quick because someone else has eyes on it as well. Best you can hope for is a little bit of moisture so the 2 tracks become impassable.

There is pretty much one road circuit to run the public land in 21 and it gets run around the clock by everyone with a tag. If you see something, you better get after it quick because someone else has eyes on it as well. Best you can hope for is a little bit of moisture so the 2 tracks become impassable.
You thinking about CR111? Regardless, you are right, you have to be willing to get off the road and two-tracks a couple miles and be willing and able to hauling them back out.

The guys that have hunted it were you there opening day or later in the season? We were looking at it unit 20 or 113 again but wont be there opening day Oct 15 probably be the first week during the week. Is the pressure still nuts during the week? It wasn't to bad last year were we hunted in 113.

It's generally not as bad in the week, but I have never hunted that unit. It's just how it works here. A lot of us are weekend hunters.

You can kill them there. I would take the first legal buck you can get on.
Any unit for pronghorn you can draw as a 2nd Choice or later usually has land access issues and a lot of tags so pronghorn get pounded at first light on Day 1 and get spooked until the shooting stops which is when they are then on private usually. Some private is hunted and pronghorn get bumped back on public or a buck leaves private to chase a hot doe but some private is not hunted so is an oasis of relaxation, water and grub. I have hiked to the remotest corners of public land and still not bumped pronghorn many of those hikes. You can skip opening week but a lot of the animals will be on private and not leaving. Opening morning was a war zone so definitely understand if you pass on a pronghorn then you are not circling back the next day as that buck will be shot at, sometimes by more than one person at once even while running at full speed and the crossfire seems careless if not criminal at times.

Hunyed 21 eith my oldest son in 2010.
Lots of hunters, lopes were skidish (2nd week). Foumd public land posted had landowners trying to throw us off public land. Mo problem finding 2 bucks in 2 days.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hotdeals
Back