Wyoming antelope 2017

dcopas78

My nephew, father and I just returned tonight from our successful Wyoming antelope hunt. It was my nephews first trip past Indiana so everything was new for him and I think he is itching to get back. I made it a point to go through the Black Hills of South Dakota/Wyoming (my personal favorite area) so we could see the Badlands and Mt. Rushmore, although it was fogged in heavily and he didn't get to see the actual monument. It turned out to be a really quick trip for a few different reasons.

We got to Wyoming on Saturday to set up camp and have a scout day on Sunday. It ended up staying dry long enough for us to get our camp ready before drizzling around the rest of the day Saturday. I managed a little fly fishing before the cold/rain drove me back to the tent. I caught a 14" rainbow before that time.

All Saturday night through Sunday was pretty much a steady course of rain that turned the roads into a quagmire of slop. We did manage to drive around some of the unit and locate some really nice bucks before fog covered the plateau and you couldn't see much past the hood of the truck. I was pretty excited about the prospects for us all getting really nice bucks even with the forecast for snow for the first morning of the hunt. Then things changed....

I woke up Monday morning to get ready for opening morning when my InReach chimed and I saw I had a message from my wife. I knew right away this wasn't good news as my wife never contacts me before the evening. I picked it up and read the message "Just caught someone robbing our cars" CRAP....... Anyways, I woke my dad and nephew, told them I was going to drive a couple of miles up the road to where we got signal on the cell phone and see what was going on.

She literally caught them in the act by looking out the upstairs window and seeing them in the cars. Keep in mind, we live in the country so she was pretty much alone with our 3.5 year old. She called the cops, got out her compact 9mm opened the window, pointed it out into the ground, fired a round and yelled to them the next one was for them...true bada** my wife. Anyways, I could tell by her immediate reaction that "no you don't need to come home, I'm fine" that my place was on my way home to her. She would never say it, but I knew she was scared.

I drove back to camp, contemplated not even going and just packing up camp while my dad and nephew went out and tried to fill their tags. Dad talked me out of it, and said we would all lower our standards for the hunt, take some meat home and be happy we had the opportunity to hunt a new area, and that with any luck we will draw the tag again some day and give the unit the time and effort it deserves. I'm thankful that my wife and son were not hurt, and for good parents. My mom spent the next two nights with my wife until I got home. It was a grand adventure to say the least.
20170922_153030.jpg
Badlands Big Horns

Opening Morning.jpg
Opening Morning

Nephews First Pronghorn.jpg
Nephew's First

All Three.jpg
All three antelope

Last edited:
Whoa. Your wife wins badass of the year award!!!!!!! Seriously my wife would never do that. Glad to hear everything turned out ok for her and you. Oh and congrats on the bucks! I'm headed to WY in a week.

Pretty impressive woman you're married to there. I'm glad everything worked out okay and you still got your buck

Very nice work on short time and as others have said your wife is quite a woman you did the right thing!

Those are good bucks for lowered standards and shortened time line. Congrats to the nephew that’s super cool; I’m taking mine out for his first trip in spite of us not drawing doe tags. He really was excited to go we’ll have a blast helping my son fill his buck tag.

Love getting the family members hooked on the annual pilgrimage west!! Great work man!

Man, not your typical antelope hunting story. Sucks your hunt got shortened by a bunch of thieves, but pretty awesome you were able to make the best of it and have a bad ass for a wife, ha ha. Scary story though and I'm sure a very desperate feeling being so far from home when you felt like you should have been there. Give your wife and kid an extra hug and remember to reload that mag for her ha ha. Glad things worked out on the hunt and especially at home.

Nicely done! Your camp looks much more comfortable than mine! :D Glad things at home turned out well.

Nice ! I hope she did not hit the car ...LOL. Did they catch the robbers?

Great story. Hope everything works out on the home front and the scumbags don't try muddy up the situation.

Kudos to your wife.

Nice ! I hope she did not hit the car ...LOL. Did they catch the robbers?

They caught a man and woman the next night in another town north of us doing the same thing. Two meth heads from the looks of them. About all they made off with before Annie Oakley did her thing was a pocket full of change.

First of all, very glad your wife and child are safe. Good action on her part. Secondly,nice job, good looking antelope!

Wow, what an adventure!

Super great that your wife was alert to the tweeker threat, and dealt with them strongly.

Nothing worse then being out of town and getting a call wth bad news!! Your wife is awesome and handled the situation herself, allowing you to stay where you were and finish your hunt!! Truly an amazing woman!! Congrats on the antelope!!

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back