Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Wyoming antelope 16 access

question for anyone that’s hunted or knows hunt area 16 in Wyoming...There are a lot of two track roads that are colored purple on onX in 16 on the blm but the majority of them don’t connect with a public roadway. Are these roads off limits? I’m really hoping they are because it would cut down on the pressure. I keep hearing access is limited in this unit so I’m assuming they can’t be driven on? Talking about the eastern side of the unit along the powder river. Any helps appreciated!

The county roads in 16 are named in onX hunt. The only access on the east side is the county road going north. Everybody camps at the well heads and hikes in from there, with a few thinking they own the area. There is no road access off that county road other than to a few well heads. There is also no road access off the western county roads, and landowners on both the western and southern ends drive the roads every 30-60 minutes, every day of season, and the warden is only a few minutes away.

Last edited:
The county roads in 16 are named in onX hunt. The only access on the east side is the county road going north. Everybody camps at the well heads and hikes in from there, with a few thinking they own the area. There is no road access off that county road other than to a few well heads. There is also no road access off the western county roads, and landowners on both the western and southern ends drive the roads every 30-60 minutes, every day of season, and the warden is only a few minutes away.
Awesome that’s what I was hoping for. Thanks

So to reach that state piece on the west side of the pic you would have to access off that county road in the lower south east county road in the pic?

Attachments

• CF8813EE-B295-43CF-B5F1-AD0824A1F525.png
    CF8813EE-B295-43CF-B5F1-AD0824A1F525.png
    3.7 MB · Views: 77
Becareful what your posting. Especially onx screenshots.

The world is watching.
I just figured that area is pretty obvious. Maybe not. If there is only one access I doubt many are gonna trek the 6 miles in there for an antelope. If they do, those guys already know how to e scout better than me probably lol

I just figured that area is pretty obvious. Maybe not. If there is only one access I doubt many are gonna trek the 6 miles in there for an antelope. If they do, those guys already know how to e scout better than me probably lol
They do. Yes that is the road to use to access that piece. I hunted the very west end and then north of that state piece. Ran into 3 camps and 5 orange dudes. Zero lope lol

They do. Yes that is the road to use to access that piece. I hunted the very west end and then north of that state piece. Ran into 3 camps and 5 orange dudes. Zero lope lol
I didn’t think you could camp on state land?

Bases on my experience in 16, you have about 30 minutes on Oct 1. Then stay out til type 1 tags end, then you have 2 weeks to fill doe tags that are much easier, fewer people and no camps.

People don't think about where they camp, they plop down right in the middle of the best hunting spots.

We don't even bother hunting in 16 til the end of October

I think that state land has an access point you can drive to, if it's the one i think it is. I walked all over it mid season and didn't see a single antelope.
16 really is awful unless you have private access. The eastern side holds very few antelope, very rough, breaks-like terrain. Maybe if populations increase with the tag cuts, more will use that area.

I think that state land has an access point you can drive to, if it's the one i think it is. I walked all over it mid season and didn't see a single antelope.
16 really is awful unless you have private access. The eastern side holds very few antelope, very rough, breaks-like terrain. Maybe if populations increase with the tag cuts, more will use that area.
Correct. It does. Check the WYGF site on that, but it did have access a number of years ago.

You can walk to that state piece from the county road.

I saw 3 Antelope inside the hunt area in two days, probably 50 within 50 yards of the boundary, and one guy in a little toyota herding antelope away from a state parcel, all day long.

You keep thinking that my friend people will work harder than you think. Not to mention you may be walking right into private pressure also.

The roads are off limits if they go through private property and are not kept up by the state. I hunted in unit 16 in 2019 and saw antelope every day. Killed a small buck on the last day of season.

Bet you can't do that today, lol. Much has changed since 2016. Hunting pressure is WAY up and antelope numbers are a fraction of what they were in 2016.

Reactions: FLS
Back