MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Wyo Unit 62

sbhooper

What is the difference between the type 1 and type 2 permits in this area. I know that it is a more limited area for the type 2. The type 2 can be drawn with four preference points and the type 1 cannot. Is the type 2 worth putting in for, or is it too limited as far as public access or something?

Lots of private and 'checkerboard' in the type 2 portion. Most guys hunt it by driving a couple main roads and hope to find the lopes on a square mile chunk that touches those roads. A couple bigger chunks of public that will be hammered. Not my idea of a great Wyo pronghorn hunt, even though there are some great goats in 62..............

-Cade
www.HuntForeverWest.com

Thanks! That is kind of what I figured. I was going to burn four points this year, but I may wait at least another year and see what the drought does. It is going to be my last trip for a trophy antelope, so I don't want to blow it.

I think that I will just opt for applying for a Coues hunt with some Az buddies instead.

We guided in 62-2 last year. We counted about 12 total sections that you can access that might have antelope in it. The rest of the area is either private or would require driving through private for access and all of the private land is marked and run by an outfitter. Unless you include the "half" sections either side of the highway that you might catch a buck standing in like Cade mentions - that might increase the total accessible land by a little.

We guided in 62-2 last year. We counted about 12 total sections that you can access that might have antelope in it. The rest of the area is either private or would require driving through private for access and all of the private land is marked and run by an outfitter. Unless you include the "half" sections either side of the highway that you might catch a buck standing in like Cade mentions - that might increase the total accessible land by a little.

You know your stuff, what units do you like that don't require a ton of points?

To tell you the truth, I like a lot of the units in Wyoming. I'd say if you have Eastman's or have seen their MRS section for Wyoming that they have it pretty much nailed down with the same units I'd recommend. My Dad and I have 1 point each and we're probably going to apply for an area we've never hunted before. One of our goals is to scout and hunt as many different units in Wyoming as we can. That way, when someone asks us which units are the best, we have first hand information rather than just guessing. So far we've only hunted 13 different units. After this year we're hoping to have hunted about 20 or so.

To tell you the truth, I like a lot of the units in Wyoming. I'd say if you have Eastman's or have seen their MRS section for Wyoming that they have it pretty much nailed down with the same units I'd recommend. My Dad and I have 1 point each and we're probably going to apply for an area we've never hunted before. One of our goals is to scout and hunt as many different units in Wyoming as we can. That way, when someone asks us which units are the best, we have first hand information rather than just guessing. So far we've only hunted 13 different units. After this year we're hoping to have hunted about 20 or so.

That is neat. At least with antelope, you always know that you will see plenty of game no matter which unit that you hunt.

My Dad and I have 1 point each and we're probably going to apply for an area we've never hunted before. One of our goals is to scout and hunt as many different units in Wyoming as we can. That way, when someone asks us which units are the best, we have first hand information rather than just guessing. So far we've only hunted 13 different units. After this year we're hoping to have hunted about 20 or so.

Eli, I REALLY hope you're not looking at my unit with your 1 point. :eek: ;)

There are still some great opportunites out there with limited points for a NR or a 2nd choice hunt for me as a Resident. We've killed some great public land bucks on 2nd choice tags just by doing the homework beforehand.

I was always pretty good on sizing bucks, but after buying, watching (several times) and implementing the tricks from your scoring video, I've been consistently better at scoring bucks. Now that you are hunting Wyo more and more, would you say the same parameters apply with eye and ear size? Any noticeable differences that you've gleaned from getting your hands on more Wyo lopes??
Thanks,
Cade
www.HuntForeverWest.com

I'm pretty sure you're hunting a different area than the one we're looking at.

I'm glad that you liked our video. I started converting all of our 8mm tapes to DVD recently and I'll be able to access all of it a lot quicker so I may start uploading more of the old footage that we have to YouTube - I'm sure some of the bucks will be the same ones that are on the video.

From the bucks we've killed the last few years I'd say the measurements have all been close to the same. If anything I'd say the eyes are maybe 1/8 larger on average and maybe the ears are 1/8 or 2/8 shorter. The heads are about 2/8 longer on average and bulkier. And of course the bodies are a lot bigger. Those are just rough averages though. We killed several bucks last year with ears that were 7 4/8 inches long!

I haven't seen our video in a long time, but I think we were fudging the eye measurements for simplicity in the video and just calling them 2 inches when in reality most AZ and NM bucks are closer to 1 7/8 inches. So, that being said, just calling the eyes 2 inches in Wyoming is probably right on the money.

Also, what's been really weird for us, is that we've under scored 9 out of 10 bucks we've killed in Wyoming. I think the overall size of the animals is the reason for it. I'm sure hunters going from Wyoming to Arizona or New Mexico will have the opposite reaction to field judging.

Back