WYO unit 45 X-Bar Ranch

Ttannahill14

Anybody ever hunt X-bar ranch in unit 45. A group of guys and I are heading from Kansas to hunt Wyoming antelope. Considering putting in for unit 45. But with lack of public access the only way I see it being worth it is if we can get onto the Xbar ranch. Anybody know how that process works?

Do I have to get unit 45 before I can apply for X-Bar? I'd like to have access to X-Bar Ranch first before we commit to a unit.

I'm fairly new to western hunting so a little lossed on how it's public land yet I need an extra permission slip to get onto the public ranch???

Thanks guys

It's NOT a public ranch.It's a private land owner enrolled in the program.I never hunted X Bar but have hunted Strouss Hill hma in same unit.I've always been successful and my partners on bucks.I almost positive u need a license in hand to apply.We always due for 1st week in strouss Hill.If you don't draw 2nd week is unlimited permission and I killed my biggest buck that week and was all alone.First day is a zoo,but by mid-week it's pretty empty

I believe the video below was filmed at the X-Bar HMA.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q6A2njyjTyE

HMA's are easy to apply for. Here's the link: https://wgfd.wyo.gov/plpwFrontEnd2008/default.aspx

I hunted elk on an HMA last year. All I had to do was follow the link, and by the end, I had a permission slip printed out. This was an "unlimited" access HMA, so a limited access slip may be different. You might consider area 43 as well. There are two huge HMA's in that area. They're limited draw slips for the first half of the season and unlimited in the second half.

First you would have to apply for and draw unit 45. Then you have to apply to the G&F for a drawing and be picked to hunt one of the six periods, as stated below for this particular HMA:

Permission slips for September 15 – October 31 (six periods for regular season antelope hunting) are issued via a random drawing.
o Apply July 13 – August 3, 2015.
o Results will be posted on August 5, 2015.

***The 2016 rules will not be posted for a while, but will probably be the same.

Last edited:
Does hunting on HMA take away the satisfaction of a DYI western hunt? If we're going to do it might as well do it right is what I'm thinking and do it on public land. I also don't like the idea of being constricted on dates.

Any issues of trying to get 4 guys an HMA slip. Like is it possible for 2/4 of us to get a slip to hunt there?

Fair chase is fair chase, and everyone has equal chance on an HMA. I don't think you can apply for access as a group so you can't guarantee yourself access in the same time period. It may be easier to apply for the HMA's in area 43 and go in the second half of the season which, since it's unlimited permission slips, guarantees you all a hunt in the same time frame. I can't say how the hunting is in either area, but I grew up in Laramie, and I know goats are everywhere. I plan on getting some leftovers in 43 if I don't draw my other elk, goat and deer limited entry tags.

Not at all! HMA's are the result of a lot of hard work and donations by hunters through the Access Yes Program. You can donate to this when you buy your license if you feel guilty :) HMA's are some of the best hunting in Wyoming and many of them are unlimited access, you just need to fill out the application. Just be respectful of the fact that you are on private land.

Does hunting on HMA take away the satisfaction of a DYI western hunt? If we're going to do it might as well do it right is what I'm thinking and do it on public land. I also don't like the idea of being constricted on dates.

Any issues of trying to get 4 guys an HMA slip. Like is it possible for 2/4 of us to get a slip to hunt there?

You need another plan, there hasn't been leftovers in that unit for a long, long time.

According to the Game and Fish website, the doe quota in 43 was 360, and a total of 45 people applied for 1st, 2nd and 3rd choices. Are you thinking of "any antelope" tags? I'm in it for the meat, so I'll hunt does as much as bucks.

There were no leftover doe tags in 43 last year, or the several before.

If you want them as a Resident, you better apply in the draw...

I think both R and NR hunters really need to understand the draw process...as its pretty apparent that there is a lot of confusion.

In fairness it is rather confusing if you don't pay attention.

The tags not awarded to Resident 1st, 2nd, and 3rd choice applicants go to the NR draw. Any that aren't awarded to NR 1st, 2nd, and 3rd go to the leftover list.

Looking at only the R draw odds report means next to nothing...you need the leftover list. I pay attention to the units around Laramie, and there hasn't been leftover doe tags in that unit for several years.

Last time...if you want doe tags as a Resident, you better apply in the draw or you'll be without.

I think both R and NR hunters really need to understand the draw process...as its pretty apparent that there is a lot of confusion.

In fairness it is rather confusing if you don't pay attention.

The tags not awarded to Resident 1st, 2nd, and 3rd choice applicants go to the NR draw. Any that aren't awarded to NR 1st, 2nd, and 3rd go to the leftover list.

Looking at only the R draw odds report means next to nothing...you need the leftover list. I pay attention to the units around Laramie, and there hasn't been leftover doe tags in that unit for several years.

Last time...if you want doe tags as a Resident, you better apply in the draw or you'll be without.

I assume they run the special draw first, then the regular draw for NR's?

Also, if resident tags get rolled into the nonresident pool, how are they dispersed amongst the regular/special, points/random pools?

I assume they run the special draw first, then the regular draw for NR's?

Also, if resident tags get rolled into the nonresident pool, how are they dispersed amongst the regular/special, points/random pools?

There is only one random draw that doesn't use PPs for doe tags for either residents or NRs. As BuzzH mentioned fro unit 43, last year there were over 300 tags left from the resident draw that went directly to the NR side. There were over 200 more people that applied for those tags on the NR side than were available, so there was no way there would be any tags going as leftovers in July.

Unit 38 thoughts? Looks like a much larger unit. We're willing to put time driving back roads and hiking. On my onx maps there's quite a few large pieces of multi section land we can access. I think I'd like the odds better with the bigger unit.

We'll prob each put in for a buck and a doe tag. 8 tags total. Doubt we'll fill them all but we'll for sure try. Meat comes first, with this being all our first antelope hunt we'll prob shoot the first thing with horns... Which I'm totally fine with admitting.

I hope I'm reading the draw odds right. 100% draw with 90%+ harvest rate??? That sounds pretty good to me?

Unit 38 thoughts? Looks like a much larger unit. We're willing to put time driving back roads and hiking. On my onx maps there's quite a few large pieces of multi section land we can access. I think I'd like the odds better with the bigger unit.

We'll prob each put in for a buck and a doe tag. 8 tags total. Doubt we'll fill them all but we'll for sure try. Meat comes first, with this being all our first antelope hunt we'll prob shoot the first thing with horns... Which I'm totally fine with admitting.

I hope I'm reading the draw odds right. 100% draw with 90%+ harvest rate??? That sounds pretty good to me?

Unit 38 is marked as limited public access and looking at the map I can see why. With no PPs the draw rate for a buck tag was only 16.19%, but with a fraction of a PP it was 100%. There were 644 doe tags offered in the NR draw last year with 739 applicants, so that is only an 87% chance of even getting a tag in the draw. IMHO I'd keep looking for a better unit.

There is only one random draw that doesn't use PPs for doe tags for either residents or NRs. As BuzzH mentioned fro unit 43, last year there were over 300 tags left from the resident draw that went directly to the NR side. There were over 200 more people that applied for those tags on the NR side than were available, so there was no way there would be any tags going as leftovers in July.

I forgot Buzz was talking about doe tags...

What about for the buck tags; they run the NR special tags drawing first and then the regular, correct?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCEAB
Back