Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

WYO NON-Res 1pt

Outofstate-r

Guys, I am wanting to carry my dad (67 yrs old and really good shape) pronghorn hunting. We bought a PP this yr, so next yr would you think it would be worth applying in the regular draw and go hunting or wait for 2 or 3 points? I have been on go hunt and it seems the majority of stuff you can draw with one point is covered in private. He also has a 1 pt for deer which I have thought about, but i have 3. Thanks for your opinions.

Lots of 1 point units where you can kill a decent buck. 1 point units usually entail some long walks from limited access points but it shouldn't be a problem if you are both in shape. 2 or 3 points wont get you into any premium units anyhow.

A few years back I took my old man (61 then) on his first Wyoming and first antelope hunt. We got our tags as a second choice and both punched our tags. To us size didn’t matter, it was the fun of the hunt that counted for us. My pops actually got a decent buck on a walk in access and I shot a smaller buck but we both had a blast.

Don’t wait, lots of chances to kill a public land buck in WY on 1 point or second choice draw while you build points. The WY F&G site has lots of unit data and I have found ONX and GoHunt apps helpful too.

I hunted a unit this year that you could draw with a single point and had some bucks that I would have shot. If you are looking for trophy class animals maybe save some points up but definitely go hunt does in the meantime.

Don't want to hijack the OP's thread, but how many points do you need to see a substantial difference in hunt quality from a second choice or one point zone in the regular draw? I won't be able to hunt Wyoming for a couple of years, but would like to take my son on an antelope hunt in three or four years.
Is having three or four points in the general draw make much of a difference in hunt quality? Hunt quality being a zone with plenty of public land and a decent chance at a 75+ inch buck. I know that the special draw has better odds, but you can buy a lot of points for the difference in price of a general tag and a special draw.

As mentioned above special draw or hunt the one point unit. Gohunt will show those units as mostly private. However I think if you use wygf website you will be surprised some of the little spots of access you can utilize. Another idea is alternate years with 1 point for deer and 1 point for antelope.

I buy antelope, deer and elk points for myself and two sons every year. Both my son's typically cannot go each fall so we typically put in for 1 tag a year (1 or 2 of us) and if drawn I go with atleast one of my son's on the hunt. Some years we don't draw and just build points. We are all around 3, 4, 5 and 6 points for each species now and can put in for some better units while building points for those species we don't try for or draw. It took a few years to get here but now I hope we can pull some quality hunts for the next 10 or so years.

I hunted a 1 point unit last year and had no problem finding public land with antelope on it. Some big ones at that. Use a public / private map to help aid your decision on where to go, and then enjoy some prime rib on your hunt.

Don't want to hijack the OP's thread, but how many points do you need to see a substantial difference in hunt quality from a second choice or one point zone in the regular draw? I won't be able to hunt Wyoming for a couple of years, but would like to take my son on an antelope hunt in three or four years.
Is having three or four points in the general draw make much of a difference in hunt quality? Hunt quality being a zone with plenty of public land and a decent chance at a 75+ inch buck. I know that the special draw has better odds, but you can buy a lot of points for the difference in price of a general tag and a special draw.
Well, that's a tricky question because even pronghorn is seeing significant point creep in a lot of areas. But I think currently 3-4 points can get you what you're after. I've hunted three 0-point units and one unit a couple times that's currently at 3 points in the regular draw. The hunt quality in the 3-point unit totally blows away the zero-point hunts in terms of accessible land, animal numbers, and hunt pressure.

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jahmes143
Back