Yeti GOBOX Collection

Wyo elk draw and retaining points

Baerman

I have one PP for Wyo elk and want to keep building my points but would also like to hunt this year. Can I apply for a full price tag in a near impossible limited unit as a first choice, then a general tag as my second choice and if I draw the general second choice am I able to keep my points? If the answer is no then what if I apply the same way under the special draw?

Secondly, if I draw a general tag and purchase an archery license/permit and am not successful, can I then go back and hunt the rifle season later?

Thanks for your help!

Last edited:
I figured it out. No matter how you apply, full price or special, if you draw second or third choice you keep your points. Furthermore points do not count in the second or third choice hunts.

I have one PP for Wyo elk and want to keep building my points but would also like to hunt this year. Can I apply for a full price tag in a near impossible limited unit as a first choice, then a general tag as my second choice and if I draw the general second choice am I able to keep my points? If the answer is no then what if I apply the same way under the special draw?

Secondly, if I draw a general tag and purchase an archery license/permit and am not successful, can I then go back and hunt the rifle season later?

Thanks for your help!

Only first choices use your points. 2nd choice or leftovers tag do not.

If get archery add-on then can hunt prior to rifle season then hunt rifle when that season opens. If a tag is archery only then can only hunt archery and some hunts may not allow the archery option. The proclamation should have the details for each hunt.

Good luck.

I figured it out. No matter how you apply, full price or special, if you draw second or third choice you keep your points. Furthermore points do not count in the second or third choice hunts.

My understanding from historical draw odds is you will only draw the general tag as a second choice if you apply for the Special License. In the Regular draw, all the general licenses have been drawn only in the first choice round.

As you understand if you draw as a second choice, you will both get the tag and earn a point.

If you buy an archery validation you can hunt both the archery and rifle seasons.

Thank you!

How about if we apply for full price unit and draw our first choice but in the random pool, do we keep our points?

If you draw your first choice no matter what you will lose your points. If you draw your second or third choice you will keep your points.

Any FULL PRICE tag, drawn as first choice will cost you your points.
You do not lose points for first choice, reduced price tags.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rifleman270
Back