PEAX Equipment

Wyo buying checkerboard sections

• Thread starter Deleted member 18333
  • Start date
The rest of the checkerboard not owned by Anadarko is mostly owned by Rock Springs Grazing Assn, Overland Trail Cattle Co, and other grazing-oriented folks. Go ahead and see if you can access that...

Also, google elk area 100 and tell me there’s nothing but pronghorn there.
Maybe you should google it yourself. RSGA let’s hunters access their land. And elk unit 100 is on the north side of the interstate. It’s fringe habitat for elk. Have you even stepped foot there? It’s antelope country and nothing more. Very little elk or deer in those spots. Money wasted.

There was a 20,000-acre parcel on the Roan Plateau in western Colorado that once was a very popular hunting area for the locals around Rifle. It was owned by you and me and managed by the BLM, but was acquired in the 1980s by Unocal through the process of patenting oil shale claims. A 1985 court decision provided 20 years of public access to the lands. Another energy company, Encana, subsequently acquired the property after Unocal abandoned their oil shale efforts, and Encana made plans to close access after the 2005 hunting season due to liability concerns. However, they reconsidered after a state representative reached out to them over public outcry. They were able to reach an access agreement with CDOW and the 20,000 acres remained open. In 2018 the property was sold to Caerus Oil and Gas who promptly closed access to the public. That's how quickly it can happen.
Cool story bro. I know what could happen I’m just saying if the state is going to start buying property they could of done a lot better in the past and in the future. If this was the roan plateau I would think it would be worth it. But this is just antelope country that is Jewish with its tags Loss of 50 antelope tags IF and that’s a big IF it goes private. MEH.

Maybe you should google it yourself. RSGA let’s hunters access their land. And elk unit 100 is on the north side of the interstate. It’s fringe habitat for elk. Have you even stepped foot there? It’s antelope country and nothing more. Very little elk or deer in those spots. Money wasted.

Yeah, 100 and 124 are junk elk tags 😂😂

Very little elk? Lol

I think we all agree this would be great. I will be interested in seeing how the state can pull it off. WY is in decent fiscal shape, but even at $500m it is a big ask. They could lease some of the mineral rights as there are always people in O&G crazy enough to try to make money at it, but at these prices it is tough unless you can stick a pipe in the ground and have oil come flowing out. Most of those spots are gone.

What is the annual cost to the state to manage those lands once purchased?

Yeah right between 100 and 124, the fringe. You're correct, you never see groups of elk right off the highway....
Oh we’ve killed plenty of elk within sight of the highway. I’ve been in on about 40 kills in unit 100 and 25 in 124. I’m sure you have way more experience than I by driving the highway. Never said there wasn’t elk there.
It’s a feel good land purchase. That is all.

There was a 20,000-acre parcel on the Roan Plateau in western Colorado that once was a very popular hunting area for the locals around Rifle. It was owned by you and me and managed by the BLM, but was acquired in the 1980s by Unocal through the process of patenting oil shale claims. A 1985 court decision provided 20 years of public access to the lands. Another energy company, Encana, subsequently acquired the property after Unocal abandoned their oil shale efforts, and Encana made plans to close access after the 2005 hunting season due to liability concerns. However, they reconsidered after a state representative reached out to them over public outcry. They were able to reach an access agreement with CDOW and the 20,000 acres remained open. In 2018 the property was sold to Caerus Oil and Gas who promptly closed access to the public. That's how quickly it can happen.
I might have some Caerus connections, any more back ground on that?

Cool story bro. I know what could happen I’m just saying if the state is going to start buying property they could of done a lot better in the past and in the future. If this was the roan plateau I would think it would be worth it. But this is just antelope country that is Jewish with its tags Loss of 50 antelope tags IF and that’s a big IF it goes private. MEH.

I might have some Caerus connections, any more back ground on that?
If you have access to Facebook look up Roan Area Access Project and search for Caerus. Plenty of posts from back in 2018 highlighting public and private meetings with Caerus and CPW. In the end Caerus said no thanks.

If you have access to Facebook look up Roan Area Access Project and search for Caerus. Plenty of posts from back in 2018 highlighting public and private meetings with Caerus and CPW. In the end Caerus said no thanks.
Will do

Not to hijack the thread, but as a Christian, I call BS on this disrespectful pejorative. Carry On.
Im sorry I disrespected you. It wasn’t intentional.

@zpooch @madtom if you keep driving west on the interstate you will see A LOT of deer this time of year by Point of Rocks. You guys should really consider putting in there. And if you go father west this time of year by Evanston there is some cranker bucks. Since you can see them from the road it must be excellent hunting. And the deer tags are easy to draw. Sleeper units I tell ya. Good luck! You’ll kill a monster! Bucks everywhere!

Let’s only spend 30 million and get this property. Those in the know, know the gems in this property.

Back