WY updated dates/quotas online

I see some units have had the quotas changes. I find it odd that they do this after the drawing. What happens now? They had a quota of 100 tags but now its 50. Do they take back 50 tags that they have already issued?

I'm assuming you're looking at the elk quota.

The quotas listed are the total issued per unit (in both the R and NR draw). So far though, the only draw that has happened is the NR draw.

The NR tags have already been issued and are based on last years quotas, not these new ones. IIRC, NR's elk quotas are issued at 16% of the district quotas for type 1, 2, 4, and 5 combined. The difference between the number of tags issued by those types and the cap of 7250 is made up with general elk tags. As an example, say 4000 type 1, 2, 4, and 5's are issued, 3250 general tags will also be issued.

However, near as I can tell, the Wyoming Game and Fish is breaking statute by conducting the draw prior to setting quotas. The reason is because if they issue tags based on the previous years quota, and not the current years quota.

In the case you describe, with 100 total available tags last year, they have already issued anywhere from 16-21 NR tags. Now with the reduced quota to 50, NR are actually getting up to 42% of the available quota. By definition in statute, NR are to get no more than 16% (plus up to an additional 5 tags if the last application is a party of 6).

In this case, the Residents are getting screwed big-time, and NR's are getting an over-allocation of tags.

On the flip side, many times NR's are also screwed if the tag quotas increase. Say they drew tags based on 100 tags and 16 NR's drew. Then the commission approves another 100 tags, NR's have now only received 8% of the quota. In this case, statute is also being broken as they are to get 16% of the quota.

I "think" the way the GF gets around the NR's getting shafted when quotas are increased, is the fact they always issue 7250.

Bottom line, is that the elk draw needs to be pushed back to the same time as antelope and deer. This was again, another sweet-heart deal for WYOGA so that Wyoming would be the first state to issue elk tags (and for them to lock in their clients).

If we're serious about being equitable in the draw to everyone, following statute, and doing whats best for elk herds, this crap needs to change. Many in the Department also agree, but seem to live in fear of WYOGA.

I think its high time that "someone" straighten this out with the commission...because not everyone is afraid of WYOGA.

I'm assuming you're looking at the elk quota.

The quotas listed are the total issued per unit (in both the R and NR draw). So far though, the only draw that has happened is the NR draw.

The NR tags have already been issued and are based on last years quotas, not these new ones. IIRC, NR's elk quotas are issued at 16% of the district quotas for type 1, 2, 4, and 5 combined. The difference between the number of tags issued by those types and the cap of 7250 is made up with general elk tags. As an example, say 4000 type 1, 2, 4, and 5's are issued, 3250 general tags will also be issued.

However, near as I can tell, the Wyoming Game and Fish is breaking statute by conducting the draw prior to setting quotas. The reason is because if they issue tags based on the previous years quota, and not the current years quota.

In the case you describe, with 100 total available tags last year, they have already issued anywhere from 16-21 NR tags. Now with the reduced quota to 50, NR are actually getting up to 42% of the available quota. By definition in statute, NR are to get no more than 16% (plus up to an additional 5 tags if the last application is a party of 6).

In this case, the Residents are getting screwed big-time, and NR's are getting an over-allocation of tags.

On the flip side, many times NR's are also screwed if the tag quotas increase. Say they drew tags based on 100 tags and 16 NR's drew. Then the commission approves another 100 tags, NR's have now only received 8% of the quota. In this case, statute is also being broken as they are to get 16% of the quota.

I "think" the way the GF gets around the NR's getting shafted when quotas are increased, is the fact they always issue 7250.

Bottom line, is that the elk draw needs to be pushed back to the same time as antelope and deer. This was again, another sweet-heart deal for WYOGA so that Wyoming would be the first state to issue elk tags (and for them to lock in their clients).

If we're serious about being equitable in the draw to everyone, following statute, and doing whats best for elk herds, this crap needs to change. Many in the Department also agree, but seem to live in fear of WYOGA.

I think its high time that "someone" straighten this out with the commission...because not everyone is afraid of WYOGA.

Wow, Excellent explanation Buzz. Thank you for that.

I haven't gotten into the legalese that Buzz spoke to but I know they do have new quotas that in some instances are different from prior years and they use those for the NR draw. In the past I've filed public info requests to obtain those quota numbers prior to the NR draw. I believe those updated numbers come from the area bio's.

"Bottom line, is that the elk draw needs to be pushed back to the same time as antelope and deer."

I talked to two Bio's prior to the NR draw about their specific habits of changing tag quotas after I had applied and both mentioned that the Jan deadline was jacked up and if the deadline was even one month later they could provide accurate dates for NR. One had even sent an email off prior to my calling.

Last edited:
Interesting
Looks like tag #s are still down in the units I was thinking about hunting antelope in. Hopefully next year they'll have more tags across the board.

I haven't gotten into the legalese that Buzz spoke to but I know they do have new quotas that in some instances are different from prior years and they use those for the NR draw. In the past I've filed public info requests to obtain those quota numbers prior to the NR draw. I believe those updated numbers come from the area bio's.

I talked to two Bio's prior to the NR draw about their specific habits of changing tag quotas after I had applied and both mentioned that the Jan deadline was jacked up and if the deadline was even one month later they could provide accurate dates for NR. One had even sent an email off prior to my calling.

Bob, you are correct, the tag numbers can be based on something other than the previous years if the bio's think they see something to warrant the change.

In cases like creating a new season via type, that gets even tougher to do, and in many cases NR's are excluded entirely from the draw.

Even IF, you had the information available from the early bio recommendations, there is no way of knowing if those quota recommendations will stick. The changes have to go through public comment as well as the commission. Many times, changes happen to quotas after going through both, been there and have seen it happen.

While its very convenient for outfitters and NR hunters to know results early, I feel its more important to set quotas FIRST, and then allocate tags based on final quotas. Its the most fair and the only way to follow statute.

Doh! Back to the drawing board.

Thanks for posting this Bob.

I'm with you Buzz. I would love to see a nr closing date of March 31 or later. At least make it after the proposed dates come out.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back