Wyoming quotas are down

JDH

I took a look at the WYGF meeting minutes and noticed that it appears quotas will be lower for the eastern part of the state. I am hoping since the unit I chose always has leftover tags that I will make it through. I'm really looking forward to the hunt.

http://wgfd.wyo.gov/web2011/wgfd-1001683.aspx

And the numbers continue to drop. Crazy how many tags were issued when I first started hunting Wyo compared to availability now.

Looks like all 3 of my choices have the same quotas as last year, so I should be good for 2014.. draw odds will surely go down from here though as more guys move away from the units that got cut.

However, I'd rather have a good hunt every other year than a poor one every season.

Damn. The Casper region quotas have almost all been cut in half for all of the hunts. My draw odds went from 100% to 50% :(

But I agree as stated above, reduce tags now before it's too late.

Does anyone know when these proposals will be set in stone or not?

I think they'll be finalized at the April 22, 23 commission meeting in Casper.

There may be some minor changes, but I think largely what you see is what you're going to get.

Going to be a short leftover list this year I'm afraid. But, like others have stated, better to be conservative now and hope things improve for future years.

The pros definitely outweigh the cons. Keeps the population up and less hunters also.

Dan---Just click on this link and then click on the chapter of the animal you want to look at. When that comes up click on the proposal and all the units will come up with season dates, last years tag numbers, and what is proposed for this year. As BuzzH mentioned, these will pretty much be the Final Regulation that will be signed by the Commission after that meeting and will probably be up on the website as the Final Regulation within a day or two after the meeting.

http://wgfd.wyo.gov/web2011/wgfd-1001683.aspx

Doesnt look like I have as good of a chance as hoped for some leftover lope tags. Bummer

Good thing i put my leftover area in my second choice this year. Hopefully the numbers come back in a few years.

Antelope, Deer and Moose are down and have been falling. They are puffing their chests out at the HUGE amount of Elk taken last year as our second best harvest year. 2012 being the best. We sure get mixed messages from the Game and Fish here, they are still smarting over the slapping two years ago when we stood up to them for the "automatic license" increases they always had passed without worry and said a resounding NO. In the past they have had increases without representation at all and we just were to take it. They played all kinds of games to hurt the public and it showed how petty they could be. I better quit this was about Pronghorns wasn't it. Sorry I will watch this in the future...

Wyoming Sage,

I think you better recheck some of your "facts"...the WYGF has not had a fee increase since 2008...hardly an "automatic license" increase.

Not sure what kind of mixed messages you're referring to, less animals means less available tags. Low fawn recruitment means less tags.

IMO, the WGFD is responding to the reality of whats happening with big-game populations.

You seem to have an ax to grind...maybe next time try finding the ax before you go to grinding.

Justin advised at the Casper meeting they've whacked antelope licenses in the Casper region by 14,000 since 2010.

Wondering if any of you conspiracy theorists are thinking they're exaggerating tag cuts in order to force the legislature to increase license fees...

No I dont think they are...I believe they're responding to crap fawn recruitment, a couple years of drought, and lower populations.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gcporteous
Back