Wy unit 40-9

Jacack

Planning to burn my points on a type 9 unit 40 tag and just wanted to see if anyone on here hunted it last year, I know the snow came early and made things a bit different but still looking for thoughts on if it's worth the points it takes to draw.

Thanks
J

Hmm,17% success rate and 9 points to draw.Id choose another unit in the bighorns myself

I hunted 40 with a rifle for cows last year and learned a lot, but I don’t know how much help it will be in September. Shoot me a PM if you are interested.

This is a C/P right off the G&F Hunt Planner regarding 40 if you haven't been on it yet:

General Statement Regarding this Hunt Area: View the hunt planner map for available Access Yes (Walk-In-Areas and Hunter Management Areas) lands open to elk hunting. Rugged terrain makes hunting tough, elk will hold up in steep canyons, draws and thick timber patches. Hunting can be difficult in this hunt area. If weather has not initiated migration, elk can be outside the hunt area. Because of this, elk hunting is typically better later in the season.

This is a C/P right off the G&F Hunt Planner regarding 40 if you haven't been on it yet:

General Statement Regarding this Hunt Area: View the hunt planner map for available Access Yes (Walk-In-Areas and Hunter Management Areas) lands open to elk hunting. Rugged terrain makes hunting tough, elk will hold up in steep canyons, draws and thick timber patches. Hunting can be difficult in this hunt area. If weather has not initiated migration, elk can be outside the hunt area. Because of this, elk hunting is typically better later in the season.

Yes a read that, I would rather hunt 38 but it won't happen with 9 points . I want to archery hunt only and hate to go in another area that allows the archery stamp/ tag . I hunted one of those before and couldn't believe the amount of guys riding atv with bows looking to shoot one from the road. It was a total shit show .

I was planing to wait until I could get 38 but this year I can take the entire month of sept to hunt if I need to.

I worked in this area pretty much all last summer through this fall. From what I saw you would be fine bow hunting this area. Once the rifles come out who knows where the hell all these elk go, but in September I would say you would have some good opportunities. And couldn't agree more about the bowhunters on ATVs.

Think success rates are much higher with 39-9 tag.It also doesn't allow archery hunters with stamps,only type 9.But with the entire month to hunt you should do well in 40.Sounds like you need to be in very good shape.Especially if your doing this solo and have to get meat out of steep canyons in Sept temps
I looked over the unit on Google Earth because I was considering a type 1 tag.Definitely looked rough and steep in the draws.If I remember correctly,the forest road was on top.Meaning packing your elk is ALL uphill to your vehicle.No idea what your age is, but it became a determining factor for me.And I'm in real good shape, but have back/neck issues from 34 years construction.Getting an elk out of the areas I liked in the unit looked extremely rough

I worked in this area pretty much all last summer through this fall. From what I saw you would be fine bow hunting this area. Once the rifles come out who knows where the hell all these elk go, but in September I would say you would have some good opportunities. And couldn't agree more about the bowhunters on ATVs.

Thanks for the info, I have applied so time to wait and see now

Think success rates are much higher with 39-9 tag.It also doesn't allow archery hunters with stamps,only type 9.But with the entire month to hunt you should do well in 40.Sounds like you need to be in very good shape.Especially if your doing this solo and have to get meat out of steep canyons in Sept temps
I looked over the unit on Google Earth because I was considering a type 1 tag.Definitely looked rough and steep in the draws.If I remember correctly,the forest road was on top.Meaning packing your elk is ALL uphill to your vehicle.No idea what your age is, but it became a determining factor for me.And I'm in real good shape, but have back/neck issues from 34 years construction.Getting an elk out of the areas I liked in the unit looked extremely rough

Yes i noticed the steepness and uphill aspect. I might have a partner go but won't know if he can until much closer to season . I am 44 and in pretty good shape. Packed one out solo a few times including last year but it was a easy one maybe a half mile and almost all down hill.

I will be ready if I get lucky and get a tag.

From my travels and hunting the west side of the Big Horns over 20+ years straight with resident friends out there I'd go with the 39-9 tag like the other member mentioned, rather than 40-9. You can go in and modify/change to 39-9 and that's what I'd do with 9 PPs if I were in your shoes.

40-9 is a good tag. Go out on any of the ridges and glass at first light and you will find bulls bugling and sparring with no one hunting them. I have done this multiple times and it amazes me that there aren’t more people on the visible bulls.

Do keep in mind though that it might take you a while to get to the elk once you find them but it is doable. If you are willing to get out of your vehicle you can get away from others easily.

Don’t worry about the weather in September. Can it snow? Yes and probably will. But access is far worse in 39 after a snow than in 40.

40-9 is a good tag. Go out on any of the ridges and glass at first light and you will find bulls bugling and sparring with no one hunting them. I have done this multiple times and it amazes me that there aren’t more people on the visible bulls.

Do keep in mind though that it might take you a while to get to the elk once you find them but it is doable. If you are willing to get out of your vehicle you can get away from others easily.

Don’t worry about the weather in September. Can it snow? Yes and probably will. But access is far worse in 39 after a snow than in 40.

Thanks
Jared

I did end up drawing the tag so time will tell if I can make it worth the points

I did end up drawing the tag so time will tell if I can make it worth the points

You said you have the entire month allotted to get it done, if needed, and that will probably be the determining factor since the more time you spend in a unit the better you up your odds. Good luck and we'll be looking for a nice write up and photos when you get back.

You said you have the entire month allotted to get it done, if needed, and that will probably be the determining factor since the more time you spend in a unit the better you up your odds. Good luck and we'll be looking for a nice write up and photos when you get back.

Plan to.

Back