Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Wy unit 34 anyone

mixedbag

Anyone ever deer hunt unit 34 wyoming?Think I have the needed points to draw for both me and my son.I've been chasing unit 89 to long and seem to always b a point behind.Wanted general imfo on 34,deer density,shooter size,pressure.Maybe someone has elk or antelope hunted there and could answer my questions.This will b my boys first trip west and I've bought him points for years so we can have a few good trips together before he's an adult.If the unit isn't worth points then I may just do Montana combo tags.He's not picky but I am a little.I know I can find a 140" Muley at least in mt.I'm hoping 34 could get us 160" or better.I did talk with biologist for unit 3 years ago so I have some old imfo from when herd was way down from the bad winter back then.Figured someone on here may have hunted it

I know I couple fellows on this board who drew the tag in 2013 and they did just fine. Hopefully they see (and respond) to your post. I had a friend draw the tag back in 2001 or 2002 and they had a great trip.

I think 160 is realistic in that unit. I drew it several years ago and really didn't do the tag justice. I didn't hunt early and only had the last 3 days to hunt. I was sick as a dog the whole time and wasted one day not evening hunting.

The 2 days I hunted I saw a dozen or so bucks each day. Its a fun hunt and you'll see deer.

Thanks, that was the imfo I was looking for!!Think we can figure out a couple spots to hunt.I'll be putting in and crossing my fingers but think we are in the points required.If not then I guess we will head to Montana

I agree with Buzz, a 160 buck is a realistic goal. The photos I saw of the bucks shot in 2013 looked to be in the 150-165 class. It is some neat country and if you draw the tag, contact me to discuss areas to concentrate on.

I've been researching the death out of that unit myself the last year or so, looks like one of the only viable options for an honest-to-goodness, stay-in-the-same-unit combo hunt. Hunt antelope for last 3 or 4 days before deer season, then switch focus.

Subscribed to see what else transpires on the thread. I'd be interested to chat though, if you do get the tag...I've got hundreds of lines, polygons, and points already dropped into Google Earth.

I think 150-160 is about as good as it gets. There are some other units that offer the same or close odds with better quality, actually some general unit tags......

Sheff

i hunted the zone south of it last year for lope and spent lots of time just exploring and gaining knowledge of that general area. you will see LOTS of deer and i think these guys have nailed it on size expectations, i wouldnt get to caught up in the inches of the rack that matter it the quality of the experiance and it will be a fun father/son hunt in that zone...

p.s. take a spare gas can!

I put in for the draw and should get the tag.My sons coming along with a decent antelope tag he also should draw in a nearby unit.Should be a fun time for both of us.Just have to wait and see if we both get tags

mixedbag---I hunt not too far west of 34 and IMHO if I were you I would hone in on the west/nw 1/3 of the unit for deer. Antelope seem to be spread all over the area in the antelope units around there. A 160" buck may be easier to come by this year than most the way the moisture has been helping out there. Good luck in drawing the tag and getting a good one!

Hey mixedbag I'm the 2013 guy that drew , we shot 2 nice bucks out of the 3 of us the old guy in the group wouldn't shoot unless he was a toad. To sum it up if I had the points I would put in we saw a lot of deer and great for a father son hunt.elkrchr pointed us in the right direction<thanx> worked out well 160ish deer is doable. If you draw get ahold of me and elkrchr for info.

good luck!!!

thx, sounds like it was worth the extra special draw price.I'll have to get ahold of some of you if/when I draw.When does the draw come out??

I drew the unit 34 deer tag.Any help thru pm would be appreciated.I had a couple guys give me some good imfo,but I always like a lot of options.I burned a lot of points and plan to be a little picky with this tag.Should be a good year for antler growth some I'm excited to hunt the unit

Sweet I drew the tag also I think I got lucky drew with one PP. sorry to hijack but any info my way would be much appreciated coming from kalifornia so no time to get up there and scout...I work a weird schedule

Hey folks. I am new to the forum...I signed up after reading this thread on the internet, and hope to learn more with you guys. I got very lucky with the WY computer this year and drew for both 34 deer & 73 antelope. Like others, I have used GoogleEarth, BLM maps, and GIS, trying to pick out some good locations to start. I have also spoken with Daniel Beach, West Casper game warden, and continue to monitor any new info I can come across. I am specifically interested in anyone's personal experience from hunting last season (2015) and any thoughts going into this season. I understand the best area for deer is the west/northwest portion, and that the road conditions can be a major factor, if they get wet. Does that include the graded routes, or is it just the two-tracks? I plan to hike in, and pack. I do not use ATVs or UTVs, and don't want this trip blown due to bad weather. Any personal experience or recommendations in case of sloppy road conditions? I don't have huge expectations for huge horns or either species, but I'd like to give it my best, take advantage of my burned-up points and hopefully find and have a chance at decent mature bucks. I'm a little concerned about extra hunting pressure due to the large allotment of doe antelope tags this year and also the elk hunting factor...I admittedly over-looked that concern when I applied. Anyway, I thought I'd send this out, as a general info request, and re-kindle this thread. PMs are welcome.

Welcome Grayfox! Not much I can add to that since you're not looking for a B&C buck because you probably won't find either in that unit. With some well spent time you should be able to shoot good, representative bucks of both species. Have a good 4x4 and at least chains for two wheels and preferably to chain up all four if it gets wet. Any time you get off anything that isn't pavement or good, solid gravel out there and it gets wet the going can be pretty nasty and sometimes not driveable. Take 3 or 4 cans for extra gas because it's a long way to anything when you get up in that unit, especially the west/nw area you mentioned. Also, it's always best to have extra food and water for a few days more than your intended time out there to insure you can get by if the weather socks you in and you have to stay put. Good luck!

Thanks, Topgun. I hunted Unit 39 last time out and was warned about the bentonite. We, fortunately, had dry conditions that time out, but I'm familiar with the need for chains (all four tires) on the 4x4. Will take xtra fuel, water and grub on the rig, too. Good advice. I read something about a recent season being pretty much a bust because of bad conditions. I've just gotta believe there's some way in that large unit to avoid a complete blow-out, if it gets sloppy and Plan A falls apart. No one says much about the east side of unit, from Natrona over to Midwest...is that because there's no deer? The habitat looks more arid & poor towards the east, but there's still plenty of public, and it looks like one could escape the road hunting pressure, if willing to hike. Just wondering? I know the antelope are probably scattered throughout, but is 2/3 of unit 34 void of deer?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back