WY results

I seem to get blamed for that with some regularity, not just in WY, but elsewhere. As is often the case, credit when good or blame when bad can be showered in undeserved portions. I doubt we have much influence on moving the draw odds in total; maybe in a specific unit when word gets out we hunted and had success in a certain place. But, even that subsides after a year.

If we have shown more people how much public land opportunity exists in the west and made public land advocates out of some of them, I'll accept the minutely lower draw odds or point creep that comes with that effort.

I wrote that half-jokingly. But surely the television show is a contributing factor in the increased demand for tags in Wyoming and other western states. But so are Internet forums like this one and many others, along with magazines and hunting consultants or whatever they call themselves. It's just the way it is.

I do blame you

I seem to get blamed for that with some regularity, not just in WY, but elsewhere. As is often the case, credit when good or blame when bad can be showered in undeserved portions. I doubt we have much influence on moving the draw odds in total; maybe in a specific unit when word gets out we hunted and had success in a certain place. But, even that subsides after a year.

If we have shown more people how much public land opportunity exists in the west and made public land advocates out of some of them, I'll accept the minutely lower draw odds or point creep that comes with that effort.

Randy I blamed you for my first divorce 23 years ago;)

There will not be an increase in general tags. The idea is to keep Wyoming elk hunting a good, highly desirable tag...and no general areas are above bull to cow ratio's in general areas enough to support a tag increase. You don't create a good resource then kill it off to make money...ever.

I was referring to the price of the special tag but forgot to include that.
I don't see tag quota increasing, but an 800 app increase in demand for an $1,100 "special gen" tag over the last two years can't go unnoticed. Or can it?

Last edited:
Tell all them cow elk I'm coming... and Hell's coming with me!

Attachments

• 1kigqp.jpg
    1kigqp.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 490
Last edited:
I don't see tag quota increasing, but an 800 app increase in demand for an $1,100 "special gen" tag over the last two years can't go unnoticed. Or can it?

About 2 days away from the tiered license fees being a thing of the past...crossing fingers.

I'll always argue that non-resident tags in the west are purely economic commodities owned by the state. The quality of the product usually drives the cost.

Preference points are the Kardashians of the hunting world, they are the dumbest thing that won't go away and make too much money while producing no tangible product.

Looks like I got lucky. I only had 2 points and the preference point had all the tags gone at the <4 mark. 6 leftover that went to the random with 110 applicants so I guess that makes me pretty lucky to draw!

Yea I'd say so! Had to followup your mountain goat tag with an elk tag too huh??? Sounds like I need to get on your app. I couldn't even pull a 75% cow tag...

My buddy drew a General Tag and I struck out. What are the odds I find a cow tag for a general unit left over?

I would have never attempted to hunt NR if it wasn't for your show.

My unit applied for had fewer applicants from 2016 to 2017 for Bulls.

Required Preference points stayed the same.

Did put in for a Cow Tag with my daughter, and that unit actually had applicants INCREASE 25%, while number of tags DECREASED 20%.....

Hunting in Wyoming is getting more challenging....

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joe Orth
Back