Caribou Gear

Wy region Y any deer tag

heartsticker

First time in Wyoming and first time going after mulies. Looking at a lot of maps online in the southern region 32, 33, 163, & 169 . Looks like a lot of roads though. We have 2 tags and would like to set a base camp, but also be in an area we can hike in a couple miles and spike camp a night or two if need be. Are there any areas closed to motorized traffic or closed roads. Would like to find seclusion even if it takes a day in and a day out. Any help would be appreciated. Pm's welcome.

There are a lot of roads in those units, but the majority are private such that you can't legally access a large percentage of the public land you're looking at on your maps. You'll need a GPS with a landowner chip for when you're actually on the ground out there to stay off private land. Right now you'll want to contact the counties you plan to hunt in and get detailed information from them as to what roads they maintain for the public. You'll soon find that a lot of the public land you were planning on hunting isn't even legally accessible because part or all of the road to or through it is private. It's also very doubtful that you'll find many areas that you can spike out and get away from people. Units 32 and 33 are the ones you should hone in on, as they have longer seasons and more deer that the two others you mentioned.

From previous research only topgun is dead on. Also, you cant even be dropped off by plane or helicopter either. Blm lady said I would be arrested for trespassing. It doesn't make sense but thems the rules I guess. Good luck.

From previous research only topgun is dead on. Also, you cant even be dropped off by plane or helicopter either. Blm lady said I would be arrested for trespassing. It doesn't make sense but thems the rules I guess. Good luck.

I don't know who the lady was that told you that but to the best of my knowledge she is full of baloney.

Thanks guys, I have a chip on the way. I also found some county road maps on one site online that show how limited access really is. There are some areas in 28 that I seem to be able to get a few miles of the the beaten path, not sure if there are any deer in that area though. We plan to hunt up to 8 days, should give us time to go a few places. I'm trying to figure out a couple of base camp spot that we can search from. We have been successful the past 6 years of DIY for bear in Northern Upper Penninsula Michigan, whitetail in Ohio, Onterio, and Michigan. Duck and goose in North Dakota, Michigan, Onterio, Ohio, and Wisconsin. We have fished all the Great Lakes except Ontario with good success for Walleye, Perch, Steelhead, Coho & King Salmon, Lake Trout, Bass, Muskie.....

If I can be of any help in these areas please let me know. Thanks again for the info given and any more that you have.

Dan

I am not arguing by any means so don't think that I am.....but she even sighted a guy with an ultralight that landed in some isolated block and was arrested. Being dumb and out of state I didn't feel brave enough to call her bluff. It was 4 years ago or I would still have my notes and be able to give a name. It didn't make sense and if it wasn't true its aggravating because I had contacts to get this done cheap.

go the counties website and use the counties GIS data. while sometimes not easy to find they are available (free) and the maps will usually have all roads marked or filters to add them and you will legally know where you can go and to what point (yes some turn private halfway down them). the chip your gonna get will help a bunch but i still like paper printed up maps just to have and plan around.

C

thanks for the info, any chance you could PM me the info you had to get a cheap flight in?

My buddy is a pilot and had the connections, I don't think I'll be able to transfer the favors. I wish I had cashed them in but I got spooked.

Its legal to fly into landlocked BLM in Wyoming as long as you land on an established road. If there are not roads and you land just anywhere, then you would be in violation of off-road use and subject to those regulations.

State ground, right now, there is no way to fly into it and hunt. Its not illegal to hunt it, not illegal to fly to it, but you cant wait 24 hours after the flight without being in violation of camping over-night on state land. Its illegal to camp on State lands in Wyoming.

WYBHA has taken the lead on the flight statute as well as regulation. It will be changed significantly in 2016 to address some of the problems that are occurring.

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tvrguy
Back