Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

WY pronghorn/bird hunt combo?

T Bone

I'm heading to WY for a pronghorn hunt.

Do you think it'd be worth picking up an upland license for sage grouse, grouse, chukar, and huns?

No dog. She's too broke down to hunt anymore.

Yes.

No matter what trip I've been to in Wyo I always seem to get sidetracked on grouse. I'll be heading to Wyo on an antelope hunt this fall as well and no way I'm not bird hunting and fishing while I'm there.

Always find a few blues on every trip but the tags I drew this year puts me west of Casper, so hope to find a few Sage. If not, I'll head south to where I elk hunted last year and chase blues again. Unless I punch my tags early, I don't usually target grouse, just take them as the opportunity arises. This year I hope to punch tags as soon as possible, no holding out for a target animal, and get after grouse and fish for the rest of the trip.

Good luck this fall.

No dog really needed for sage grouse or dusky grouse if you're going to be near the mountains. Sage grouse season is short so check on that .
Chukar and huns, dog would be very handy.
Yes I would get a licenses if you have the time and opportunity on your hunt.

I think you can buy daily licenses as well. Three days of daily licenses are cheaper than an annual license. I’m looking at the daily option to tack on a day or two of grouse hunting to our antelope hunt.

Last edited:
I wouldn't bother with sage hens. Numbers are struggling, they're tough as shoe leather, and extremely gamey tasting. Seems pointless to shoot them. Sharptails should be abundant (last fall they were everywhere) and easily hunted without a dog. They are "okay" table fare. Not great but edible. You will no doubt see quite a few while scouting for antelope. Hunting Huns and pheasants without a dog is pretty much a waste of time. Take a .22 to pop grouse. It is legal in Montana and I'm sure also in WY.

I am bringing my Pointer along this fall. We will be in NE Wyoming the first 10 days of October. Haven't looked into it a ton yet, but thinking sharptails in SE Wyoming and/or Chukar/Huns in C Wyoming. Still working that part out. My partner and I drew decent mule deer tags and antelope buck tags. We are both more bird hunters than big game hunters. I would guess by the time we get there our trophy deer/antelope aspirations and diminished quite a bit and we end up spending more time bird hunting. But that's just a guess....

I am bringing my Pointer along this fall. We will be in NE Wyoming the first 10 days of October. Haven't looked into it a ton yet, but thinking sharptails in SE Wyoming and/or Chukar/Huns in C Wyoming. Still working that part out. My partner and I drew decent mule deer tags and antelope buck tags. We are both more bird hunters than big game hunters. I would guess by the time we get there our trophy deer/antelope aspirations and diminished quite a bit and we end up spending more time bird hunting. But that's just a guess....
By the time general deer season opens in Montana the sharpies are usually pretty spooky. They don't hold well. Even with a close working dog it's hard to get a shot unless the bird is a loner. When antelope season opens it's usually still early enough for sharpies to hold well. But then the snakes are about too so be prepared for that. You should be able to find pheasants and Huns later when it's colder and mulies are in rut.

By the time general deer season opens in Montana the sharpies are usually pretty spooky. They don't hold well. Even with a close working dog it's hard to get a shot unless the bird is a loner. When antelope season opens it's usually still early enough for sharpies to hold well. But then the snakes are about too so be prepared for that. You should be able to find pheasants and Huns later when it's colder and mulies are in rut.
We will be there the first 10 days of October. I prefer to hunt prairie birds in September but we will try to make the first week of October work.

I routinely bust (ok get the crap scared out of me) coveys while antelope hunting. Being a born and raised east coast hunter, not sure what they are though

Thanks for the input.

It's been 30 years since I've hunted sage grouse. I recall the strong taste of the meat. I'll think some on if I want to kill another of these dodo birds.

The thought of huns, chukar, and grouse get me excited.

Bird hunting without a dog just doesn't seem right....

We will be there the first 10 days of October. I prefer to hunt prairie birds in September but we will try to make the first week of October work.
You should get some sharpies that early. When snow is on the ground in November they get even jumpier. I'm guessing because raptors can see them better. Pheasants should be opening around then. Again, it can be snakey in early Oct depending on the weather. I actually had a Lab get bit when we were walking out in the moonlight one November evening ... when I could see my breath! Very freaky. One of my host's coworkers was bit the same day while loading a stack of firewood. If weather is warm I would suggest hunting early morning with the dogs when it's still cold and snakes are more sluggish. Then go after antelope during the day. They aren't as nocturnal as deer (I have only seen one antelope in the headlights my entire life and I'm pretty sure something was chasing him). They are frequently feeding in the open during the middle of the day.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samcarp
Back