WY P'horn unit 23

greatwhitebuffalo

Has anyone HUNTED this unit or attempted to hunt it? Review, thoughts, etc. ....

I'm curious with all of the leftovers that seem to be out there.

Back before they split the tags for mostly private I hunted it with an OTC second buck tag.

I shot the best buck I found looking over all the accessible public land the day prior to the opener. Shot it on a piece of State ground just as the sun was breaking the Eastern horizon on opening day.

I didn't find anything special, even on the private. There's enough bucks in the unit, probably a few real good ones if you have access.

Low 70's type buck:

IMG_4498.JPG

This was kind of what I was hoping to find. I'm sure that it's (like most areas) hit or miss, but opportunities to be found. Main curiosity is if the tag surplus correlates with decreased pressure, better opportunity, etc. ....

I think tag surplus there is due to hard to find/get on public access.

I think tag surplus there is due to hard to find/get on public access.
I agree. I just wonder if an increasingly larger amount of people have given up on it over the years.

Plus, (albeit anti-Hunt Talk) there have been some reasonable trespass fees up that way in the past.

There are plenty of goats, we went the last week of season, 6 tags in under 48 hrs. There was just enough public land to make it work. I did not pay a ton of attention to the size on the private.
20181112_195039.jpg

I've hunted it twice and shot two low 70s goats there. If you are lazy, don't bother, if you are willing to work for your goat then it's no different than all the other comparable units in the area. Keep your expectations low and have fun.

Like mentioned above, the hundreds of leftover tags are for private only, good luck finding access at a reasonable price.

no more leftover tags for type 1 usually, there are type 2 (private) left over tags. I live and hunt this area.

I hunted it with type 7 doe tags this fall. I can say that you'd be very lucky to find any prongalopes up on the HMA in the NW corner. Funnily enough, I was able to find access to a piece of private land for free. It was only about 1000 acres, but it had critters on it and my son and I each shot one. There are a lot of them in that unit. I think if you had access to all the public land and were willing to work at it, you'd get an opportunity.

Nothing's final until I've got the tag in hand. But, everybody's input makes me like the idea more. I've never really paid for access, so thought this might be a good experiment.

I hunted a private land chuck last season first time down didnt take long. Seen a absolute plye along hwy .was pretty impressive being first time down there

Back