WY nr antelope???

Chucknduck

So having never hunted or applied in wy I've been doing some research for a 2015 antelope hunt. Looking at the draw odds and quotas it seems that a lot of the areas that have lots of public had lowered quotas last year. Do you think these areas will have similar quotas this year? Do they release quota numbers before app deadline? Is there a place I can get a paper copy of antelope regs? I have limited slow internet at my house. I was originally thinking about Hunting around the area north of Cody since i could make day trips to this area. But looks like the quota is low as are antelope. Looks like I might have to head farther south and east.

Barring bad weather between now and summer I would imagine that most quotas will be similar to last year since fawn recruitment was said to be good last year. However, that will probably still mean another year or two before herd sizes recover enough to up tag quotas where they were cut. The G&F has changed the ending application date for NRs to match the resident date now and that will be June 1 this year with the modify/withdraw date being that same day. The Final Regulation for all of the season dates and tag quotas is normally signed and on the G&F website around 4/22 or so and that will give you a number of weeks to firm up your plan before the application period ends. Unfortunately there is nothing on paper and you'll need to get all your information right off the G&F website. The only paper you'll get is with your license if you draw a tag and that would probably come sometime in July and no later than the first part of August since some seasons open on 8/15.

Ya was thinking quotas would be similar. So for the point system you apply first choice and if you don't draw that area you get a point? If you draw a second or third choice do you still get a point? Since quotas have been dropped is there usually still left over tags a guy could get? Looks like I'll have some time to do more research.

Only your first choice costs you points, and yes there are usually leftover tags that are available, though it seems fewer and fewer every year. You can still have fun on a leftover tag and good hunting too, just have to work around more private land usually.

I would plan on tag quotas being same or similar as last year....

You have to pay $30 to obtain a PP for antelope and that PP is not good until the following year. You can do that at the time you apply this year and if you don't draw your first choice then that PP will be on your record for use next year. If you draw your first choice the $30 is refunded because you can't buy a PP and draw a first choice tag in the same calendar year. If you draw your second or third choice you keep the PP for next year. There is also a PP only application period when you can buy the PP and it's from 7/1-9/30. It is also set up so that you can't cheat the system and do what I mentioned because the choice will be grayed out and not useable during the application period only if you already bought it earlier in the year. There are usually a lot of leftover tags in some areas that have mostly private land like a number of areas in the 16-23 unit numbers, but not where there is a lot of public land. If you go into the G&F website you can highlight "HUNTING" at the top and scroll down to the "Draw Odds" section and click on it. Then click on the top line for the 2014 results. All the different species will come up and you can click on the various draws to see how many PPs it took to draw a tag and by looking at the Random Draw Top line where no PPs are used it will give you the best idea of how many tags were still left after everyone drew in that one. Those then go on sale in July first come first served online on the G&F website. If you have any questions as you go through the system, just send me a PM and I'll help you since I've done it so many years it's sort of a deal where I can do it in my sleep, but for first timers it can sometimes seem a little daunting.

Was looking at drawing percentages for preference points. Some area have a type 1 and type 2 hunt listed. Both say any antelope. What is the difference?

Probably either later season dates or only portions of the unit are open to the type-2 tags. Check the 2014 hunting regs. for specifics.

Yep, you'll need to check the hunting booklet on the F&G site for that specific tag, as each tag may have it's own unique limitations.

Tag Quotas

I called Game & Fish and was told that the 2015 tag quotas will be published on the web site some time in April. I'm waiting until then to decide where to apply.

I did some deer hunting outside of Cody this past season (OTC Doe tags). I made some contacts to try and get on several pieces of private land. No one would let us on as buck season was opening soon after doe season was over and they didn't want us disturbing the bucks. BUT, every one of them told us if we had an antelope tag, they would give us money to come kill them. Every landowner we dealt with was very pleasant, so if you do draw for antelope north of Cody, you should have no problem finding yourself a place to hunt.

Go on Wy website and look to see if they have walk in areas or hunter management areas in some of last years left over list or units your looking to apply to.These are private ranches open to hunting but with certain rules to follow.Don't judge a unit by just public land available.I've only antelope hunted on hunter management areas in a unit marked for little public land.That allowed me to get a left over tag easily and then just apply to hunt the HMA.Antelope is a lot of fun to hunt and Wy is a target rich environment.Never understood why anyone would pay a guide for an antelope hunt.I've sent many guys out to the areas I antelope hunted and all were successful.Buy a bunch of doe tags too as the meat is pretty good.In fact my daughter has been pestering me to go back antelope hunting again for some meat

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bgeary
Back