Yeti GOBOX Collection

Wy. moose

mixedbag

Do you guys think its worth it to start building points for moose in Wy?I hear the herd is on a downward spiral.Don't want to invest years into the points for an animal thats going downhill.
I'd like to do a shiras moose hunt.Any recommendations on other states to apply in where I can have a chance to draw this decade?
Thanks

I have nine points and think it will be a while before I draw a tag. I personally wouldn't stay in the game if I had less than 6-7 and wouldn't start now. Save the money and go to Canada in my opinion. Just my .02.

You're likely not going to draw this decade, anywhere in the Lower 48. That said, animal populations go up and down and I wouldn't write off the moose as all but extinct in WY.

Fork out the $$$ and go to Canada or Alaska.

downhill population today could be tomorrows climbing population. You will never draw moose if you never apply. Have always understood WY has the best shiras draw opportunity, even if it is still hard to draw or takes a long time to get enough points to assure a draw. Certainly a lot better than Colo.

Last edited:
I have max points that I plan on never using. If there was a way to give them to you I would....

I drew a moose tag in Wyoming this year with 10 preference points. Moose populations are sliding backward but I believe that can change. I will be hunting an area many miles from where I live because the wolf has essentially wiped out the moose population in NW Wyoming. If you want a moose, book a trip to Alaska or Canada. If I wanted a Shiras Moose real bad in the U.S. outside of Alaska, I would probally put in for the tags in the Idaho Panhandle.

Mixedbag, I am in the same position as you are. In 5 years or so, I will probably start applying in Wyoming for the actual tag, not just the bonus points so I figure maybe I should be buying the points now so that I will start to at least build them up. Not sure what exactly to do.
You should definitely check out this link though. You have close to 9,000 non-residents in front of you...
http://gf.state.wy.us/downloads/pdf/TotalPreferencePointsMS2010.pdf
If this chart isn't the definition of depressing, I don't know what is.

I drew Wyoming moose a couple of years ago and as soon as I can, I'll start buying points again. Of course I'm addicted to moose. I've killed 2 shiras and 1 Alaskan moose and would hunt them every year if I could. I say start building points and plan for a Canadian or Alaskan hunt as well. Best of both worlds.;)

I had a conversation with someone that has as much knowledge and insight as anyone on moose in Wyoming. He said another five Moose areas would close this year and if you are 40 or over not to waste your money. The wolves have taken their toll.

Although there is a very healthy and growing moose population in the Big Horn Mountains, it takes well into double digits to draw a tag. If I wanted a Shiras, I would start putting in for Idaho. Otherwise, go to one of the Canadian provinces or Alaska for the larger species.

13 this year...We'll see, been serious the last few years with no luck..Point creep can be a bitch!

Looking over the download from above post, I can see I'm way behind.The one good thing is the random draw they have so theres always a chance in some areas.I think the best odds I found for that were around 1 in 25
Idaho looks to be my best chance,but most of that is long odds to

You just never know. My buddy drew a once in a lifetime Shiras tag on his first try in Idaho in 2007 and got the only nonresident tag issued in the unit south of Pocatello. I went with him on the late September hunt, had a blast, and he shot a real nice 38"+ bull. If I had enough points like you do to stay in the Wyoming draw, I would build them until I could draw a good tag in the Big Horns. They are doing well there and there are some big bulls to be had if you do your homework.

Idaho panhandle for moose??? Man would that be a waste of money. Besides not being any, or very few, the under brush is so out of control you can't see 10 feet. I have friends that have been up in the air and saw 1 bull in four units! On the plus side it was a good bull!

Idaho panhandle for moose??? Man would that be a waste of money. Besides not being any, or very few, the under brush is so out of control you can't see 10 feet. I have friends that have been up in the air and saw 1 bull in four units! On the plus side it was a good bull!

I don't know for sure what's exactly considered panhandle, but I know a couple units in N. Idaho I would absolutely love to have a tag for. Pretty good draw odds too if you have the extra thousand bucks to pony up.

Area 1. Priest River drainage. Lots of moose tags and a harvest rate of over 80% in 2010. I know the area well. If you can't get a decent bull in that area, you aren't trying very hard.

Best Random Draw Odds I saw in the 2011 stats that was in a non wilderness area was 1 in 55.
It's my opinion that with point creep you may not catch non-wilderness units while you can still get in there. You can also look at it as a $75 chance with 2% odds every year to chase the random tags.
I think it's around $6K to go to Canada and hunt Moose. I think it's about double that to go to Alaska and more $ in travel. For that much I would much rather hunt a Dall than a moose.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaly24
Back