WY migration video. I-80

Living in Nevada, I have seen the wildlife overpasses here. There is no doubt they save not only the lives of animals but the lives of people. It really is a shame to see smear of deer on the road kill cafe menu. Thanks for sharing @neffa3

That was well done. I've seen the overpasses in Nevada and Utah, they're not small projects by any means. Would love to see more of these go up.

Here's a much smaller one here in WA completed this last year. I really think our State transportation departments need to be incorporating this into all of their designs. I mean if they're going to spend millions to keep rock fall out of the driving lanes then dangit they should do the same for critters.

Here’s some UDOT video of one at Parleys Summit in UT. Less than 1/2 mile from my place. I’ve seen that bear (or one very similar) out my back window on several occasions.

Here’s some UDOT video of one at Parleys Summit in UT. Less than 1/2 mile from my place. I’ve seen that bear (or one very similar) out my back window on several occasions.

Cool to see the variety of animals crossing at Parley's. That's only 15 minutes from downtown SLC.

Watching that also made me wonder if predators will start to focus on the bridges as pinch points. I haven't checked but I would assume there is some sort of buffer regulation for hunters too..

US 93 North of Missoula Montana:

"The U.S. Highway 93 North (US 93 North) - 'The People’s Way’ - reconstruction project represents the most extensive wildlife-sensitive highway design effort in the United States. This is within northwest Montana on the Flathead Indian Reservation, the homeland of the Confederated Salish and Kootenai Tribes.US93 North was expanded in the early 2000s, and to address ecological and cultural concerns with the expansion of this 56-mile long road section, the following measures were built to improve motorist safety by reducing wildlife-vehicle collisions and to maintain wildlife habitat connectivity and population viability by providing safe crossing opportunities for wildlife:
41 fish and wildlife crossing structures
18 miles of fencing
60 jump-outs
Numerous wildlife crossing guards
Monitoring efforts have found these structures are frequently used, with documentation of over 53,600 wildlife uses from 2010-2012 by over 30 species."

Thanks for sharing.

Adding one more video/datapoint below: Colorado's program on hwy 9 has been a huge success in reducing collisions. Not nearly the scale of I-80 in WY, but it does work.

Cool to see the variety of animals crossing at Parley's. That's only 15 minutes from downtown SLC.

Watching that also made me wonder if predators will start to focus on the bridges as pinch points. I haven't checked but I would assume there is some sort of buffer regulation for hunters too..
Only the highway buffer, but it’s private on both sides and the landowners police it pretty hard for any hunters. About 250 yards from the north side is public land that I hunt.

Back