Yeti GOBOX Collection

Wy leftover tags

mixedbag

Some how my son didn't draw his antelope tag with 3 points,which should have been 100%.I did draw my unit 34 deer tag.The trip was being planned mainly for him and now he has no tag.Anyone know a decent unit close to unit 34 deer that would have left over tags.I could go back thru old magazines and try and figure it out but you guys are so much quicker and with more current knowledge.We don't need trophy antelope to hunt as he's fine with anything.What I do need is a unit with some walk in acres or hunter management land for him to hunt on
My other options would be 2nd or 3rd season elk in Co or a left over Mt deer tag.Being his first western hunt, I thought antelope would be the best start.Any help with be appreciated.Was a big downer to draw a great mule deer tag and not have him draw his tag

Leftover list is mighty slim this year. My leftover unit last year had over 100 extra buck tags.. none this year. Going deer hunting instead.

None of the units I was expecting to have leftovers have any this year, so I'm making other plans. We did get two doe tags each and that's going to be all we're going to get. I was planning on four tags for me and four for my hunting partner. Instead I think we'll be scouting for elk and maybe spending a couple extra days driving home through Yellowstone.

There are a few type 1 tags over in the Sheridan units, still a good number of type 6 tags. Everything else seems pretty much sold out. Be quick when they open up for sale !

He would probably have a more pleasant less crowded experience hunting elk or deer in Montana or Idaho over Colorado, if you can't get your hands on a leftover lope tag in WY.

i cant believe how few leftovers there are this year! maybe something to do with the application date shifts

Well, my plans crapped the bed. I waited to get mine and my wife's tags because there were always so many leftovers...even already made the hunt plans (my wife's first trip to Wyoming and would have been her first buck antelope), but a crap unit sold out both type 1 and type 6 already.

I was told by the game and fish not to wait for leftovers this year. I guess I should have listened

John, there are still some 'good enough' units that have LO doe tags. Just be on your laptop the second they go up for sale !!

I thought I was pretty safe in my unit since there was like 156 leftover buck tags and almost 300 doe tags last year and they didn't sell out...somehow the unit became popular this year when they combined 4 units together and BAM...everything sells out. Even my backup unit sold everything out. Must have been a lot of people dumping points this year or something :confused: What bums me out the most is that my wife is a brand new hunter and I got her hopes up to go up to WY and get her first antelope buck.

Last edited:
John,

If you can swing the cost, a trespass hunt in some of the remaining units is an option. If you have any contacts use them and try to find a good ranch. If you don't have anyone to ask try taxidermist or butchers. I have found them more likely to give information than others because they want your business and your success depends on it. There's still plenty of options for the hunt, just may be tight for hotels. Camping may be your best option at this time in my opinion. Good luck.

Roger That on the hotels. I called about noon today and I was the 8th person to book a room since yesterday at noon. Got a really good rate though and they gave me a free night for staying past 5 days, so I guess I'll just have to stay and hunt one more day.

You guys aren't helping me wallow in my sorrows...lol We still have some other hunts planned, and one is a big surprise for her, so we'll see what happens. She likes fishing too, so maybe a trip to Lake Texoma to put some catfish in the freezer might be cool too.

I still plan on picking up two antelope doe tags. only thing I may have to switch my plans of archery elk hunting to the last week of archery season instead of the first week to coincide with my rifle antelope doe area.

Some how my son didn't draw his antelope tag with 3 points,which should have been 100%.I did draw my unit 34 deer tag.The trip was being planned mainly for him and now he has no tag.Anyone know a decent unit close to unit 34 deer that would have left over tags.I could go back thru old magazines and try and figure it out but you guys are so much quicker and with more current knowledge.We don't need trophy antelope to hunt as he's fine with anything.What I do need is a unit with some walk in acres or hunter management land for him to hunt on
My other options would be 2nd or 3rd season elk in Co or a left over Mt deer tag.Being his first western hunt, I thought antelope would be the best start.Any help with be appreciated.Was a big downer to draw a great mule deer tag and not have him draw his tag

Unit 25 or 113. Neither will give you the low pressure experience, but it looks like both have enough land to find an antelope to shoot at. Both units are close to 34 deer and both have enough tags that you could snag one if you are ready on tag day.

Back