Caribou Gear

WY elk PP and General tag questions

pipelake

So if I buy a point it would go to next years pp draw and I would have about a 40% odds for a NR. OR, I could apply in the random draw for a general tag with about 17% odds. But I have to apply one way or the other, not both.

If I buy a point and don't get drawn (and buy another point, I am almost guaranteed a general tag in two years.

Do I burn points in the random draw or do I get to keep them?

Is there an advantage to buying a point when applying for a tag or should I wait until after that years application to buy another point?

Whether you draw in the PP part of the draw or the random draw, you lose your points. If you have the $50, buying a point is a pretty good investment in WY.

I have never used the lottery system yet, one question I wonder is if I have 15 points for elk in Utah, and I put in for a LE tag do I lose all the points if I draw or can I say I want to apply but only use 4 points if I draw? Does that make sense to anyone but me?

I have never used the lottery system yet, one question I wonder is if I have 15 points for elk in Utah, and I put in for a LE tag do I lose all the points if I draw or can I say I want to apply but only use 4 points if I draw? Does that make sense to anyone but me?

You lose them all if you draw.

So if I buy a point it would go to next years pp draw and I would have about a 40% odds for a NR. OR, I could apply in the random draw for a general tag with about 17% odds. But I have to apply one way or the other, not both.

If you are unsuccessful in the pp draw, your application then goes through the random draw. You don't have to choose. But as Big Fin said, you lose your points either way if successful.

You lose them all if you draw.

Dang, guess I need to map out what units I can draw for in the next couple years. Once I retire from the good old Air Force I plan to move back to MT.

Also points are points right? If I collect a couple years of resident points would they turn into non resident points when I leave Utah?

Dang, guess I need to map out what units I can draw for in the next couple years. Once I retire from the good old Air Force I plan to move back to MT.

Also points are points right? If I collect a couple years of resident points would they turn into non resident points when I leave Utah?

Yes you will be able to keep them. Keep in mind that it will be a lot harder to draw as a non. resident. Might think about spending them before you move.

Lots of good tags to be had, especially if your a muzzy or archery hunter

Back