Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

WY Elk & Antelope

What Map

My family’s elk hunting starts September first each year. There are always a few of my relatives that have cow elk permits for the west side of the Big Horn Basin. This past weekend found my son-in-law from Denver driving eight hours to make it for a Saturday morning elk hunt from my brother’s home.
Diane and I drove down from Bozeman on Friday evening to meet him and other family members who drove in from around Wyoming.
At first light we drove two trucks into the public land above the private alfalfa fields. We left our vehicles and spread out over a dozen sections of land. There were no elk to be found. Back at the trucks around noon, we found one would not start because of a dead battery.
My son-in-law and niece’s husband took the broken truck (after we jumped it) and went off hunting some more. About two hours later, we got a call from a neighboring rancher that out two hunters were stranded on the highway.
We went to the rescue and found them riding in the truck without power, coasting down the highway with a dead elk in the back.
They had come upon a single calf elk on their hunt, took it and loaded it into the broken truck and then pushed the truck onto the highway and headed back toward my brother’s place.
We got them, the truck and the elk back to camp.
My wife has an antelope buck permit that starts September 20; so we took a few pictures of them. Here are some pics of the elk and buck antelope.

Son in law with his Wyoming elk

Doug elk 2015 reduced.jpg

HuntTalk hat, grey skies and cracked windshield

HuntTalk hat 2015 reduced.jpg

Antelope 2015 #2 reduced.jpg

Antelope 2015 reduced.jpg

Anteope reduced 2015.jpg

Sage grouse doing OK

Sage Grouse 2015 reduced.jpg

Last edited:
Looks good to me...that calf will eat good.

Last edited:
Very nice pics..

See any deer over that way?

We saw no muley bucks on public ground. We saw a few on the private fields but no monsters. We were not really looking for deer. Saw no white-tail bucks at all.

Here is a pic of one of the muley bucks we saw:

Deer reduced hunttalk 2015.jpg

Sound like a good time! Also sounds like the area I unsuccessfully tried to draw this year. :)

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrGeauxNewMexico
Back