SITKA Gear

WY Elk 2020 - Area 54 Cow Elk tag (type 7)

samuel_koeshall

Hello fellow elk hunters,

My parents and I have cow elk tags for the Cody, WY hunt area 54 (type 7 tag) that we will hunt in mid-November. I am trying to obtain as much information about this area and how to hunt the area as possible to make this a fun family hunt while optimizing our chances of filling the freezer with tasty meat snacks.

Have any of you ever hunted area 54 and what was your experience?
What is the critical component to have a successful hunt in this area, especially in November?
Did you find that elk were still up higher on the far west edge of the area or down lower on BLM and private property?

Any direction on this area will be appreciated.

Thank you,

Samuel Koeshall

kwyeewyk

I know someone who killed a nice bull in 54 and lost part of it to a grizzly, so make sure that is part of your preparations, still plenty of bears up in mid November.

vikingload

Hello fellow elk hunters,

My parents and I have cow elk tags for the Cody, WY hunt area 54 (type 7 tag) that we will hunt in mid-November. I am trying to obtain as much information about this area and how to hunt the area as possible to make this a fun family hunt while optimizing our chances of filling the freezer with tasty meat snacks.

Have any of you ever hunted area 54 and what was your experience?
What is the critical component to have a successful hunt in this area, especially in November?
Did you find that elk were still up higher on the far west edge of the area or down lower on BLM and private property?

Any direction on this area will be appreciated.

Thank you,

Samuel Koeshall
Were you able to get the Two dot access permit? If not northern edge of bald ridge is the spot they cross over to dump into two dot ranch. Take the main road on bald ridge and its right before it drops into a draw with red dirt in it.

samuel_koeshall

Were you able to get the Two dot access permit? If not northern edge of bald ridge is the spot they cross over to dump into two dot ranch. Take the main road on bald ridge and its right before it drops into a draw with red dirt in it.
Thank you for the tip. Yes, I was able to get access to the Two Dot ranch for cow elk.

vikingload

I’d second this tip, they come through this area pretty frequently and can catch them bedded just south of the fence that borders two dot and forest service on this end. Watch out for grizzly, they are now joke in this area and with proper precautions they shouldn’t bother you.

SITKA Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Markleathers