WY antelope questions

lhltr

Been creepin in the shadows here a while. Planning a 2020 antelope hunt. Heading out on a family “vacation” (scouting trip!) for the 4th. Plan to camp on BLM a night or two. Coming from the Black Hills and headed toward Laramie. Would like to stay on east side of the state as we will be coming from Indiana.

Are there some units along that corridor that someone would recommend to check out? What should a guy look for this time of year? Camping on the side of the road on BLM looks to be legal as long as it isn’t posted?

Thanks for the great resource and the help!

Well Laramie has lots going on during July, Jubilee Days. Good fireworks show in town on the 4th, can watch it form almost anywhere.
Not a ton of BLM on the east side for camping but a few spots. Lots of moisture this year so watch out for muddy roads.
Make a stop at Devils's Tower. Good fishing in some of the east side lakes.
What area near Laramie are you scouting?
pm is fine with your specifics

As it appears that there was quite an increase in applications, I would first target a unit or two that you can draw. Spend some quality time on the WY Fish and Game Hunt Planner and website and go over draw odds and public land accessibility.

Get your preference point bought in July and you’ll have a point going into next years draw. Then decide regular or special draw for next year. I’d recommend the special. Once you have your choices narrowed down use the HT search function to collect some more intel. Welcome and good luck - the planning is part of the fun.

Hunt Planner will be your best friend to start with. Bring your binos' and enjoy the chance to glass some nice goats - even if they're in a unit you don't plan on hunting.

Do you have any points yet?

If you're dead set on hunting next year, I would focus on the units that you think you can draw. As NEWHunter said, your options will be a little less limited if you're willing to put in for the special (2x more expensive) tag. So just grab the drawing odds from this year (and maybe last year) and see what one point (buy the point) and a special tag could get you. Focus on those units. If you take the approach of applying for the long shot unit as your first choice, and then a "safe" backup, as many people did this year, you may find that you don't get a tag at all.

And don't overlook the doe/fawn tags. Usually much easier to draw and are all completely random (no special license, no preference points). Those tags seem to be a little more predictable in terms of draw odds year over year.

We have been planning on 2020 for a couple years just not been out to look around. We will each have 3 points. I was thinking of applying for a harder to draw unit and then a couple “guaranteed” type units for back ups.

If you draw a buck tag are you also allowed to buy over the counter doe tag?

Thanks for the help!

No OTC for doe tags. You have to apply for them in the draw. There are some units that had leftovers, but I doubt it would be any of the units you would be applying for with three points.

If the draw continues the way it’s going, especially from last year to this year, there are going to be few “guaranteed” back up units, especially in the regular draw. That said, unit 9 might be one of those units in the special.

So are you checking out your 1st choice options or second choice? Again, I’d specify regular or special as it makes a big difference. If you want to burn your points I would put in for 27 or 32 as a first choice and scout your potential second choices.

I would also spend time reading old threads as a lot of the info you’re looking for is out on this forum in many places.

We have been planning on 2020 for a couple years just not been out to look around. We will each have 3 points. I was thinking of applying for a harder to draw unit and then a couple “guaranteed” type units for back ups.

If you draw a buck tag are you also allowed to buy over the counter doe tag?

Thanks for the help!
Two things. If you look at this year's draw odds and then last year's, I think you're going to find that there are VERY few "guaranteed" type units left, at least, that you would want to hunt. I think a good number of people on here (including me) would encourage you to draw for a unit that looks likely based on your points and past draw odds. If you apply for a "stretch" unit as your first choice and then a "safe" unit as a backup, there's a good chance you won't be hunting bucks in 2020.

Second point, you don't have to apply for doe tags where you apply for buck tags. Addicting is right that most 3 point units are not going to have any doe leftovers. But there are still plenty of good units where the doe tags are easy to draw. You can hunt for bucks in one unit and does in a completely separate unit if you think your odds of drawing are better that way (and they likely will be).

No OTC for doe tags. You have to apply for them in the draw. There are some units that had leftovers, but I doubt it would be any of the units you would be applying for with three points.

Last year area 29 still had doe tags left after the second chance draw. You could buy those online or OTC. There were 2 different types available so make sure you know what you are buying/applying for.

Two things. If you look at this year's draw odds and then last year's, I think you're going to find that there are VERY few "guaranteed" type units left, at least, that you would want to hunt. I think a good number of people on here (including me) would encourage you to draw for a unit that looks likely based on your points and past draw odds. If you apply for a "stretch" unit as your first choice and then a "safe" unit as a backup, there's a good chance you won't be hunting bucks in 2020.

Second point, you don't have to apply for doe tags where you apply for buck tags. Addicting is right that most 3 point units are not going to have any doe leftovers. But there are still plenty of good units where the doe tags are easy to draw. You can hunt for bucks in one unit and does in a completely separate unit if you think your odds of drawing are better that way (and they likely will be).

^^Totally agree. Pick up a point this year and spend them on a decent unit next year, then start the process all over again. I think the days of half decent second choice units and ample leftover tags are long gone.

Last year area 29 still had doe tags left after the second chance draw. You could buy those online or OTC. There were 2 different types available so make sure you know what you are buying/applying for.

And make sure you have plenty of folding money to buy your way onto private land on those tags.

Most wont, which contributes to why they’re leftover to begin with. You may get lucky and get free doe access, but it isn’t common anymore.

If it was all I had then maybe $50 to fill all, but not $250. The ranchers know they're sittin on a gold mine as it were. As a local it would be hard to get excited over shootin something that you probably see everyday.

All this assumes the OP goes the route of getting his buck tag then looking for doe tags in that unit AFTER the draw. To be clear, a better way to get doe tags is to go ahead and apply for them in the regular random draw--there are still tons of units you can draw doe tags where you would not need to pay for access. If you're worried about not drawing the buck tag and being stuck with the doe tags, then just check the little box that withdraws your doe applications if you don't draw the full priced license.

If you apply for buck and doe tags and don’t draw a buck tag, do you still burn your points on that doe tag?

I have a lifetime hunting license in Indiana and don’t have to buy anything to deer hunt so this is all new to me!

Thanks for all the pointers.

If you apply for buck and doe tags and don’t draw a buck tag, do you still burn your points on that doe tag?.

Nope. Points only go away when you draw a first choice type 1,2,3,4,5,9, or 0 tag in the first draw (not the leftover draw). Type 6,7,8 don't use points in any way.

Back