WY 2021 deer/antelope results

You can hunt it with me! And I'm not a guide. Just have to make nice with folks in WY you can hunt with if your keen on it. I think it's buffalo chip for the most part, but seeing as how the grizzly bear numbers and encounters are going up and hunting does pose a significant risk for a negative encounter, its not a bad idea to be back in some of those places with someone who is used to being in bear country if you aren't. I guess maybe they look at it as reducing liability? Course the hikers are on their own, but they don't carry around bags of meat and let off gunshots
As someone said to me years ago, there's no law against hunting with a friend. If you're stopped by a warden in a wilderness area and your "friend" isn't a guide does he give you a pass or a citation? Also in some places unlicensed people will "guide" you for a fee and I'm sure most folks [including the wardens] in the area know who they area.

As someone said to me years ago, there's no law against hunting with a friend. If you're stopped by a warden in a wilderness area and your "friend" isn't a guide does he give you a pass or a citation? Also in some places unlicensed people will "guide" you for a fee and I'm sure most folks [including the wardens] in the area know who they area.
Honestly I thought the only stipulation was that whoever accompanies you is a legitimate Wyoming resident. I may be wrong though.

Great post.

Attrition due to some of these impending changes is something I personally think is being underrated.

Only time will tell.
What's difficult to really pull apart are the demand for various types of tags and how price/allocation/ etc will effect them.

OTC CO elk
Unit 10 CO Elk
Unit 43E1R Deer
Unit 23 WY doe tags
Unit 67 WY Buck Tags
Tok Sheep tags

The demand on each of those are completely different. I think it's quite possible that some of these units will see increased demand and others decreased.

I think various factors will change the number of NR who hunt the west, but I don't think "demand" will actually change. People might be limited by time/effort/money/points etc. But I doubt we will return to a draw a great WY pronghorn unit every 5 years and hunt a "no public land unit" as a second choice reality as a NR reality.

Well, got me, the daughter, and the wife applied for leftover doe/fawn antelope tags, and got the daughter applied for a leftover doe whitetail tag. Now we wait for the '2nd drawing'. Really looking forward to another trip to Wyoming this year.

I will be done with elk in WY and Antelope once I burn my points, deer as long as I can get a tag every 4 years or so! If not I’ll quit all together. Especially with 4 people to buy points for….. gets a bit steep. NM, NV, ID for me most likely, random draws will always be number 1 for me 😜 point creep and stupid amount for tags is my #1 factor for quitting.
Matt

I will be done with elk in WY and Antelope once I burn my points, deer as long as I can get a tag every 4 years or so! If not I’ll quit all together. Especially with 4 people to buy points for….. gets a bit steep. NM, NV, ID for me most likely, random draws will always be number 1 for me 😜 point creep and stupid amount for tags is my #1 factor for quitting.
Matt
Which states do an actual random draw? And for which animals?

Which states do an actual random draw? And for which animals?
New Mexico and Idaho are completely random. A few states do a random draw for specific animals, like pronghorn does in Wyoming. And a few states have a random portion of their points-based draw, also like Wyomong. Arizona has a random component as well I believe.

what's "very reasonable"?
The internet is your friend!

Plenty of all inclusive bear and deer hunts in the 2500-3500 category. Also lots of waterfowl hunt packages ranging from one day to a week. There's obviously more expensive hunts out there but these a pretty affordable and guaranteed tags. You can do a DIY hunt for cheaper, sure but some of those prices are hard to beat for an all inclusive package.

The internet is your friend!

Plenty of all inclusive bear and deer hunts in the 2500-3500 category. Also lots of waterfowl hunt packages ranging from one day to a week. There's obviously more expensive hunts out there but these a pretty affordable and guaranteed tags. You can do a DIY hunt for cheaper, sure but some of those prices are hard to beat for an all inclusive package.

I won't disagree with anything you are saying but in no way are they the equivalent of a do it yourself Wyoming elk hunt. If you compare apples to apples, I'm doubtful it even exists in Canada for nonresidents because of the guiding issue.

I once hunted moose in Ontario (Lake of the Woods) for a few hundred dollars. Those days are LONG, LONG, LONG gone. Now Wyoming is pretty gone as well. :(

I won't disagree with anything you are saying but in no way are they the equivalent of a do it yourself Wyoming elk hunt. If you compare apples to apples, I'm doubtful it even exists in Canada for nonresidents because of the guiding issue.

I once hunted moose in Ontario (Lake of the Woods) for a few hundred dollars. Those days are LONG, LONG, LONG gone. Now Wyoming is pretty gone as well. :(
I'm not comparing anything though. What I'm saying is, for those who are tired of the app/points game and fees that are going up, and feel like they are not welcomed as an NR, come spend your money here!

New Mexico and Idaho are completely random. A few states do a random draw for specific animals, like pronghorn does in Wyoming. And a few states have a random portion of their points-based draw, also like Wyomong. Arizona has a random component as well I believe.
Doesn't WY do 25% random for most big game tags?

I'm not comparing anything though. What I'm saying is, for those who are tired of the app/points game and fees that are going up, and feel like they are not welcomed as an NR, come spend your money here!

Is the border open for hunting?

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tvrguy
Back