WY 2021 deer/antelope results

Probably more valuable from a herd health standpoint.

I am where you were seven years ago, so I can agree with the general sentiment in your post. I just think does are low enough as it is that there's room to raise the price and not put a doe tag out of reach for Joe NR.

Plus naking doe tags a little pricier might just make people less likely to throw two doe apps on top of their buck app, meaning hopefully less pressure on doe tags for the guys who are brown bagging it.
You could also just limit people to 1 doe tag.

There are plenty of expensive tags for people to throw money at, tons of tags and hunts over $4000. Not many for NR under $400 for a hunt.

You could make elk tags $5000 and pronghorn $3000 and still have point creep in units. All you would do is insure that only rich folks hunted and that we were getting even closer to the British model of hunting.
This is the Texas model, because we have so little public land. If I want to hunt an antelope here, I've got to find someone to sell me a tag and let me use their place to hunt it. Years ago I realized I could get to Wyoming and back with a buck and doe antelope tags, gas for the truck, and a couple nights in a hotel for cheaper than the Texas hunt. So I definitely do not want to see the overall cost of hunting increase such that your normal, hard-working person can't afford it.

You could also just limit people to 1 doe tag.

There are plenty of expensive tags for people to throw money at, tons of tags and hunts over $4000. Not many for NR under $400 for a hunt.
I dont know if I would drive 27 hours to get 35 pounds of meat if could only get 1 tag. Like 2 tags but to help draw odds I would be in favor of 1 tag each at least at initial drawing. I also like that so cheap. I am thinking more and more about being a doe hunter almost exclusively with the increase in prices and demand on buck/bulls.

A non res can buy their WY doe antelope AND a #1 at McDonalds for the same cost as a Sitka subalpine neck gaitor.

Yeah the thing is if you have money any price that is way below your budget seems like a joke. If you price things at the point that it's not a joke for anyone then basically you've decided that the Wilkes bros are the only one's who should be hunting.

There is a reasonable bottom price as well, but you have to love the irony of a thread bitching about housing prices and then folks saying we should charge out the nose for tags so their is less demand.

Yeah the thing is if you have money any price that is way below your budget seems like a joke.
$34 for a non res layup meat grab is a joke and it has absolutely nothing to do with pricing people out or the inflation of real estate. $34 in 2021 barely gets you a case of white claws and a can of skoal. A Sitka sub-alpine "trucker" hat is $30 plus shipping and tax. Come on.

i mean, i'm not complaining, but it blows my mind that i can shoot white tail does in wyoming for only like 8-9 more dollars than i can mule deer doe OR bucks in colorado

NR wants to shoot a mule deer doe in colorado they're paying 412 bucks... crazy

if some modest price increases on reduced price licenses in wyoming could go to good uses like migration corridor protection and access programs then have at it wyoming, i'll still apply and buy

I didn't apply this year, but will buy points for deer and antelope for me and my kids. Next year I'll have 2 deer and 6 antelope points and hope another point keeps me ahead of this years point creep.

Probably more valuable from a herd health standpoint.

I am where you were seven years ago, so I can agree with the general sentiment in your post. I just think does are low enough as it is that there's room to raise the price and not put a doe tag out of reach for Joe NR.

Plus naking doe tags a little pricier might just make people less likely to throw two doe apps on top of their buck app, meaning hopefully less pressure on doe tags for the guys who are brown bagging it.
The rich guys will still pile on the tags at hundreds of dollars per doe tag...and we're right back were we started 🇬🇧

If the goal is to not pile on the tags...make it so you can only have one per species not necessarily a dollars thing

The rich guys will still pile on the tags at hundreds of dollars per doe tag...and we're right back were we started 🇬🇧

If the goal is to not pile on the tags...make it so you can only have one per species not necessarily a dollars thing
I think you and wllm1313 are correct, after considering it a while. Raising doe tag prices won't lessen demand.

I still support raising the price of an antelope doe tag, though, simply because I think they're worth more than what Wyoming is getting. I wouldn't advocate for hundreds of dollars per doe, just a solid increase from where they are now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back