Caribou Gear Tarp

WY 2021 deer/antelope results

Not really. The mad house that is colorado - no thanks. Idaho cuts two more days out of hunting to drive there. Montana. Maybe. Been there. Might go back. Not sure it's worth it - just ask BuzzH
I’m just saying there’s still plenty of opportunity to hunt for a bull this year, and even more opportunity if you’d be happy with a cow. There will be more than a few people hunting OTC tags in Colorado smiling and packing out 6 points this fall.

Not really. The mad house that is colorado - no thanks. Idaho cuts two more days out of hunting to drive there. Montana. Maybe. Been there. Might go back. Not sure it's worth it - just ask BuzzH
Well Brent, put all your eggs in one basket and you're bound to be disappointed!

From the sounds of it, and certainly in my own case, Hunting has become Hunt Talk. There is no real hunting to be done. Just talk. Man, I'm bummed.

So the only real question left is whether to throw more good money after bad and buy more antelope or elk points? Ever heard of The Concorde Fallacy? This is it.

Deer, I'm out. Permanently. From now on, it will be in state only.

Elk, I'll probably chase a little longer with my points but this will be a last gasp effort.

Antelope, this is the big question. With just three points, maybe better to just walk away completely and be happy with memories from here on out.

Wyoming is about done squeezing money out of me.
If you want to go hunting on a general elk tag (which is a great tag), a cow elk tag, or kill an antelope buck in a 3 point unit, we all know you could. It's easier to talk, as you note.

No luck, but we were only going to get a random draw, didn't put in for 2nd choice. Although the unit we have hunted on 3rd choice the past couple years is now a 30% chance at 2nd choice. Ouch...

I just looked up NR point requirements for my elk and lope tags, both are basically max points, man i have had a lucky season for tags! Pair these with my bison and other elk and deer tags its going to be a spetacular fall! No cow/doe apps cause i may need more freezers as it is..i am about to crack a beer and blow off rest of day and savor the moment.

0/5 between my friend and me. Odds on nabbing at least one of those tags was approx. 84% Meh...

I opted to roll the dice in the regular draw on deer since I already have an elk tag in my pocket. Special was 100% but I don’t regret it. High likelihood of drawing elk or deer next year.

Now what to do with my fall?? Elk tag is not until Jan. MT return list and WY leftovers - what else is there at this point?

Yep my unit took over two points more to draw this year than last year. Time to put a stop to “hunter recruitment.”
The hunting experience and opportunity is only going to get worse. Maybe at a slower rate for the hunting celebs who are able to spend 100 days + a year out in the field, but for the average guy it will be much faster. I do blame people who have sold hunting and publicized the experience. Now its a wildfire that shows now signs of slowing down.
I'm sure this will turn into a fruitful discussion on how to grow the pie.
yeah, I know that's everyone's idealistic fantasy. Or at least the hunting celeb talking point that justifies their monetary gains from constantly spitting out content. The truth is, the pie will grow so so slow in comparison to the increase in interest and pressure. The hunting experience and opportunities are going to diminish for an individual as long as those individuals keep buying into Randy, Rinella, Born and Raised, Hush, and the thousands of others. So in a way we, the starstruck audience, are also to blame.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juicer52
Back