Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

WTB: 1000 yard rifle and scope

• Thread starter Deleted member 20812
  • Start date
So no one has a rifle to sell me? I want to shoot for the stars with this tag, and I can’t bear the thought missing out on the elk of a lifetime.

Finn might get put on Ol’ Roy, and I’ll steal my daughter’s Subaru for hunting trips so I can save gas. That should let me up my budget to $1100. Will that buy a Cooper? I hear they’re good.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have just the rifle for you. A Ruger #1 in .338 Win Mag. Second most powerful cartridge in the world only surpassed by the 7mm Mag.
It’s a true minute of angle 1000 yard gun with or without a Vortex scope. At eleven pounds, after a thousand yards of carrying it you will be needing a minute if you are walking up any angle.

You might pm Mudranger. I heard he was hawking some ‘equipment’ at fire sale...prolly throw in some dekes also.

I really , really , like the 6.5 PRC.
But , if I were wanting reliable penetration , at most all angles at longer distance, and especially on big animals weighing 400+ pounds....
There would only be three cartridges I would choose from.
.300 win mag
.300 ultra mag
.300 PRC
In that order also is my preference.

I have taken game close to 600yrds. many times with my .300 am in a Wnchester M70.
Mostly deer size. No elk as of yet.
Many of those deer went 50-60 yrds before pilling up.
An elk will likely take a hit at those distance's with little to no reaction and possibly go down when he feels like it. Which might not be in sight anymore.
At a thousand yrds that possible scenario may make finding your animal awfully hard.
In rough thick terrain it would be almost impossible.
So at distance's over 500yrds , more gun is always better.
I can hit targets pretty reliable out to 850yrds , but wouldn't try an animal at that distance.
Too many variables to ethically get it done.
Wind can be impossible to make a shot go where you want or think a bullet will go, without multiple tries and dope adjustment.
The 6.5 PRC is very capable. But I would want 180+grain bullets at very long distances on targets or game. That ensures wind cutting abilities and energy on targets.
Personal ability is always a factor. But even the best shooter using the best equipment won't always be able to make perfect hits past 600yrds.
you obviously have never shot a 6.5 creed. 1000 yard gun all day on animals of any size and under any wind or weather conditions. You don’t even need a man bun to consistently drop everything at 1,000 but most creed operators believe it’s an important componate of running a 6.5 creed moor rig or build.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sea Rover
Back