Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Wounded deer

D_Walt

With the recent thread about deer lost to wounding, I thought I would share this to show how tough a wounded deer can be. This video is from a couple of weeks ago, one of my son’s friends (middle schoolers) wounded a buck on the property we hunt in South Texas.

We found some stomach contents and followed blood about 200 yards before it completely petered out. Judging by the stomach contents on the ground I knew the deer was going to die and we were very unlikely to find him, so we called in the dogs. We had a drone on hand that we were using to look at some new seismograph lines so on a whim we put it in the air to follow the dogs.

This deer had a significant amount of his stomach protruding from his abdomen and still ran hard. The drone battery died prior to the final catch by the dogs, but the buck was recovered shortly after the video ends. I’m not interested in discussing the ethics of dogs or drones (I know many heads will explode with this one), only showing this to demonstrate how tough a fatally wounded deer can be, and potentially why so many are not recovered after a poor shot.

Back