Would you shoot a mountain lion or wolf on a deer tag?

I recently learned that the Idaho deer tag can also be used to tag a mountain lion or a wolf. I know the odds of seeing one and getting a shot are slim, but I wanted to get everyone's opinion. If you were hunting deer in the back country, would you burn your tag on a mountain lion or wolf if given the opportunity? I'm leaning towards saying yes on the mountain lion and no on the wolf.

Your thoughts?

Wolf? You bet. I really want a black one on my wall.

Not really. We have plenty of cats, and a few wolves in Colorado. It doesn't change my answer, and I explained why. Even if we could buy OTC deer tags. My answer is the same. I don't kill just to kill.

Sorry, but you're not the bingo winner.

I thought this thread was about Idaho not Colorado? Must be the second hand smoke out there!

It's not killing to kill. I believe they (cats/wolves) should be respected, however I also believe they should be managed. And since 1 in 1,000 people actually target them, albeit with a very low success rate (without hounds), we should take an opportunity to harvest a lion or wolf when we get it like a bonus OIL hunt.
It is a crying shame that since the wolves took hold in Idaho the road hunting success rate has fallen dramatically;)

Some of the herds out there have been decimated by predation. You bet I'm "KILLING" one if I get the opportunity. I can't get it mounted though because I wasn't targeting it. :D

So two years (1997) after 14 wolves were introduced in YNP the wolves decimated the herd in the Lolo zone of Idaho...so did all of them move to the Lolo zone and eat all the elk the winter of 1996...and then move back to YNP? Surely there woulda been some documentation (by the bios and wolf lovers) of the entire pack migrating into Idaho...and back. Or are you saying that the offspring of the original 14 wolves all moved to the Lolo zone as soon as they were born in 1996 and each ate 5,000 elk in a year? I'm confused on the logistics on this one...

So two years (1997) after 14 wolves were introduced in YNP the wolves decimated the herd in the Lolo zone of Idaho...so did all of them move to the Lolo zone and eat all the elk the winter of 1996...and then move back to YNP? Surely there woulda been some documentation (by the bios and wolf lovers) of the entire pack migrating into Idaho...and back. Or are you saying that the offspring of the original 14 wolves all moved to the Lolo zone as soon as they were born in 1996 and each ate 5,000 elk in a year? I'm confused on the logistics on this one...
There was also a reintroduction into central Idaho in 1995. Way closer to the Lolo zone. mtmuley

I would fill my tag on any predator i come across. I have had hounds for 20 yrs and have taken all the lions i need....but i would still put a 160grn nosler thru a lion if i came across one and it was legal...a wolve would get the same. Anyone who says they would not do not have the herds best interest. Call me crazy but the wolves need to go.....go....go...i do like the lions as long as my hounds are chasing them.

Last edited:

I'm showing some statistics about the elk herd in Idaho. Don't know where they all went but certainly a reason to do predator control! Good huntin'

Again, very low number introduced. I do just find it hard to believe they decimated the population in two years. That would mean 100s of elk eaten per wolf. I'm not saying they are without blame but I think I've just about reached my limit (10 years) on "the wolves ruined hunting in Idaho...(insert crybaby symbol)", it frustrates me to no end.
If we really want to do something to conserve elk in Idaho we should try and put an end to the ElkNut business and hunting party...they're WORSE THAN WOLVES!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back