Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Would you shoot a mountain lion or wolf on a deer tag?

Deer Tag

I would use my tag on a wolf or a mountain lion. No second thought there. But like the previous people have posted just buy an otc wolf tag.

Nope.I pay for a deer I'm shooting a deer.Could care less about woofs and lions.Anybody wants to walk on a big whitetail go right ahead,smack those predators.:D

If you don't have a wolf tag and you pass on one that could be taken legally with a deer tag, you are nuts. No whitetail in Idaho better than a wolf. mtmuley

Yes would love to have either one just as much as the deer. Of course if I had already gotten one of each then no.

If you don't have a wolf tag and you pass on one that could be taken legally with a deer tag, you are nuts. No whitetail in Idaho better than a wolf. mtmuley

Matter of opinion, I walk in my own shoes and don't follow public opinion all the time.My passing on a wolf isn't going to make a shit of a difference.

Matter of opinion, I walk in my own shoes and don't follow public opinion all the time.My passing on a wolf isn't going to make a shit of a difference.
You're right Hem. You ever get your hands on a wolf though, you might understand. I wouldn't pass a big muley for a wolf though. mtmuley

You're right Hem. You ever get your hands on a wolf though, you might understand. I wouldn't pass a big muley for a wolf though. mtmuley

Maybe so. Honestly, I had a malamute during my wild,single years...best dog that I still mourn 15 years later. I Want predators managed with extreme prejudice,but that dog of mine was too close to the real thing in some ways.....just can't wrap myself around smoking some wolf.Sure like to step up from a 150 class whitey to a 160 though.:D

Agreed .... If I come to hunt deer from out of state and only have a deer tag I'm coming home with a deer that I can feed my wife and I with for the winter , I'm not going to fill it on a wolf or lion just my opinion . However if I come to Idaho soon ( and I'm really considering it ) I'll probably buy a wolf tag just in case . For residents that hunt there all the time it's a different decision you can probably get extra deer tags so it don't matter your still getting meat . :D

If you are considering using your deer tag on a wolf just spring for the wolf tag too. They are cheap. Then you can fill both of them.

I wouldn't. I won't shoot what I don't eat, and I wouldn't eat lion, or wolf. I tried lion, and didn't like it.

The only exception is coyote. I kill them to get rid of them.

This seems to be flawed logic. Either you "won't shoot whot you don't eat" or not! Which is it? I don't see a better argument for passing on a wolf or a cat, than a coyote for control reasons. Heck, a cat or wolf is responsible for a lot more big game mortality than a coyote.

I'm not saying you have to shoot any, I just think your logical argument is quite flawed and would question why a coyote and not a wolf? Tags are cheap.

The question is if I was hunting for deer would I shoot a cat/wolf. No, I wouldn't, because i'm deer hunting, and want the meat from the deer. Shooting a coyote wouldn't affect my deer tag, and I can still shoot a deer.

shot either without question and then go buy an extra deer tag ....... but odds are you don't need to worry about it. Very slim chance of either happening but always good to be prepared.. Now with me saying that you will get one or the other good

I would not use my deer tag to shoot a wolf, just buy a wolf tag, they're cheap.

I would shoot a mtn lion using my deer tag because they are so rare to see without hiring an outfitter with dogs. After you shoot a lion and tag it with your deer tag you can still go buy a second deer tag to finish out your hunt.

Honestly, I wish that IDFG would just give a free wolf tag to every non-resident hunter purchasing a deer or elk tag.

As for those who struggle with the ethics of killing something you are not going to eat. I think you should reconsider that decision. The primary utility of most prey animals we hunt is meat. Since that is what most of us hunt we were raised to make the best use of the meat. The primary utility of predators is fur, it's a completely different thing. Saying you won't shoot a wolf becasue you can't eat it is like saying you won't shoot a deer because you won't use it's hide for clothing.

I would not use my deer tag to shoot a wolf, just buy a wolf tag, they're cheap.

I would shoot a mtn lion using my deer tag because they are so rare to see without hiring an outfitter with dogs. After you shoot a lion and tag it with your deer tag you can still go buy a second deer tag to finish out your hunt.

Honestly, I wish that IDFG would just give a free wolf tag to every non-resident hunter purchasing a deer or elk tag.

As for those who struggle with the ethics of killing something you are not going to eat. I think you should reconsider that decision. The primary utility of most prey animals we hunt is meat. Since that is what most of us hunt we were raised to make the best use of the meat. The primary utility of predators is fur, it's a completely different thing. Saying you won't shoot a wolf becasue you can't eat it is like saying you won't shoot a deer because you won't use it's hide for clothing.

You assume too much.

This seems to have been lost here. Yep, get a wolf tag in addition to your deer tag. BUT, if you have the chance at a wolf, and only have the deer tag, kill the wolf. You are a fool if you don't. Deer are easy to find kill. Wolves, not so much. mtmuley

I would shoot either and be happy to nail its head on the wall !!!
save some deer on either one of them . If we dont do are part to keep the predators in control ..soon the deer and elk will disapeer ...
anyway I will have my wolf and mt.lion tag n hand when I hit the.trail this fall.
maybe I will jump acrss the border and try my luck this fall

MT.PERCHMAN

Back