Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Would you rather - Trophy solo or Shooter w/buddy

I think people today are afraid of being alone for extended periods. It's a great way to find out what you're made of. I'd take a doe solo. Just for the personal lessons I'd learn!

Last edited by a moderator:
I used to hunt solo a lot, I even shot a bull moose in Alaska on a solo hunt. I would also spend a lot of time fishing solo. Now I don't care who pulls the trigger or catches a big fish. Time out in the woods with a good friend or two is what's important. I always look at it as a team effort.

I hunt solo so that is my vote, at some point I guess hunting with a partner would be good on some longer hunts but being alone in the middle of nowhere makes me smile

I do both and like them equally, each for different reasons. Love the challenge and solitude of solo hunting. To me, it’s the best therapy and mental recharge you can get. When hunting with a group or my son, I really enjoy contributing to and celebrating other people’s success, and pit far mulch less pressure on myself to fill my tag, so that makes it more relaxing. I’ve never done it, but I think it would be super cool to be part of someone else’s OIL hunt.

, I really enjoy contributing to and celebrating other people’s success, and put far much less pressure on myself to fill my tag, so that makes it more relaxing. I’ve never done it, but I think it would be super cool to be part of someone else’s OIL hunt.

I found that to be real true. I've had 2 OIL tags and killed on day 3 on both of them after being in the field for a total of 5 days. Neither one of the animals from those hunts even were close to B&C. I felt a lot of pressure to kill a monster because the rare-ness of the tag. I didn't like that feeling of pressure and I'm working to get over that still.

I am torn on this question. I get more excited when my 22 year old son bags something than when I do.

I am going to say solo trophy unless I am hunting with my son.

Funny that you posted this. I was just reflecting on my lack of hunting buddies that are willing to push as hard as I do. I have been trying to recruit but... too much money, not enough time, to hard of hunting seems to be the theme of reasons why no one wants to hunt out west with me or hunt some of the more physical hunts down here.

Maybe if I could find the right hunting partner I would change my mind to shooters with a buddy.

I can see a day in the near future when the vast majority of my hunting will be solo.

My son likes a year being out of college and being hooked up starting his career.

Meh, I digress.

I am going to say solo trophy unless I am hunting with my son.
I agree. This was from our hunt last year in MT. Was my son’s first year of hunting and first deer. By no means trophies, but for both of us to have bucks on the ground the first morning of the hunt was pretty cool. He shot his first. I was about a mile away from him at the time but heard him shoot. Got a txt about 5 mins later that he had one down, so I busted through the woods to get to him. I’d jumped a 4x3 about an hour before that ran his way, so was hoping that’s what he had down. So I finally get to him (not making any attempts to be quiet) and he’s got a forky down. He said it was trailing a group of does that he saw first. So we starting gutting the forky, and he says, “Dad, there’s a buck over there!”. Sure enough, about 75 yards away, there’s a buck walking straight in on us. Most likely trailing the same does. He walks in to about 50 yards and I was able to put him down. Using his deer as my gun rest. Turns out it was the same 4x3 I’d jumped early. Neither are trophies, but outside of hunts with my dad as a kid, it’s a hunt that I’ll always cherish.

But that doesn’t mean I still don’t really like my solo hunts as well!

ECC23B45-72DB-4318-BB1A-E18C91354FE6.jpeg

Out of a 5 week season, I hunt three weeks alone and two weeks with a friend. when hunting with a friend about half is spent hunting alone on separate ridges. Only certain spots will support tandam hunting.

Both have their place for sure!

I think it's been touched on here, but even though I love solo hunting, I always try and plan at least 1 hunt a year (out of 3 big game tags, usually) with friends or family.

I'm planning on a big elk hunting trip with my brother, dad, and grandpa in 2021 and I am already just stoked to spend time with them just thinking about it. We should probably get a bull or two, but I definitely would be surprised if we all tagged out. Setting that expectation beforehand just allows there to be less pressure than when hunting by myself.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samcarp
Back