Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Would someone give some GOOD layout advice?

2rocky

I think there is an opportunity for someone to create an interior decorating show on how to best utilize space when starting and filling trophy walls, and rooms. What are some design principles someone should follow when creating a space to display mounts?

This refers to art, but applies

Tips for Arranging Art​

Aug 31
Written By Bev Pettit
Hang Art at Eye Level
Many people tend to hang their art too high or too low on their wall. Where is the center of your art piece? You would want to place your art so that the center of the piece is at eye level. Art galleries like to place artwork at about 57 inches on center. This is the average height for the viewer’s eyes.
Plan out your Wall
You can create templates for your art by cutting tracing the piece on craft paper and then using painter’s tape to place the cutouts on the wall. This way you can envision where the artwork will hang and adjust the layout and spacing accordingly.
Create Balance
Try to place your wall art to balance with your furniture and other art work in your room. If the wall space is large you may want to hang a larger piece on that wall, or perhaps a collage of smaller pieces, to balance out the overall look. If you are placing a number of sizes on your wall as a collage place the bigger pieces among the smaller pieces.
Spacing your Pieces
Don’t overcrowd your wall by placing pieces too close together. The larger the wall the further apart the pieces can be. For the most part you will want to have 3-5 inches between pieces if you are hanging a number of varying sized artwork. Larger and fewer pieces can be spaced farther apart.
Lighting is Important
Choose lighting to showcase the work well. Sunlight (UV light) can fade some artwork so try to keep fine art paper prints away from window light. LED lights won’t add UV light and are friendlier to artwork.
Shelving your Artwork
Artwork “shelves” are popular and are sold in home and frame stores. Some have low “lips” along the front edge to hold the artwork in place. Shelves allow you to change out your work whenever you get a new piece of want a new look on your wall. And you don’t have to add any more holes for hangers.
Bev Pettit

not that i'm lucky or skilled enough to have too many things to mount.

but i feel like less is more. i hate to agree with my wife on this. but i'm personally in the camp of having a few select, exemplary, or favorite things to mount in the main room. have some smaller stuff on shelves or bigger thigns on a few select walls and other rooms around the house.

your home office, man caves, or garage walls are really the only places to just throw it all up IMO.

too much dead stuff in one room just looks tacky to me. no matter how artfully adjusted they all are.

Last edited:
I am the opposite now. I have some Euro mounts that look good above the kitchen cabinets but people have said how they can't believe I just have stuff sitting on the floor leaning against the wall in my man cave. I just don't have the room to display like some do. Living room was reduced to just 3 shoulder mounts. Just don't care anymore, not sure why.

Leave room for maps.

A trophy room sucks people in for sure, and they will admire the beauty of the animals, but nothing holds the gaze of a person against a wall like a map. Might be kind of cool to have maps associated with the animals.
A couple of good friends have some incredible trophy rooms. Each one of them also has a 10x20 ft wall topo map of the Absaroka Beartooth Wilderness.

I find myself looking at that more than anything else they have in their man caves. That's a small goal in life to have something like that.

Some of my personal preferences…worth what you paid for them 😜

Euros don’t weigh down a space like shoulder mounts or hides do. If you want to display more quantity, use euros.

Limit shoulder and full body mounts in a single space. Otherwise they get overwhelming and lose their impact.

Likewise, keep the scale reasonable and be realistic about your space. Don’t plan for big mounts in small rooms or crammed onto small walls.

Mixture of display types and styles if you can swing it (mix of pedestal and wall mounts, euros on wall and sitting on shelves, hides over tables or trunks, etc.)

Build your own displays (weathered wood, habitat, natural elements) to add unique interest and variety.

Leave room for maps.

A trophy room sucks people in for sure, and they will admire the beauty of the animals, but nothing holds the gaze of a person against a wall like a map. Might be kind of cool to have maps associated with the animals.
I feel like you have a whole map room, don’t you? 😁
I do always enjoy looking at maps.

Leave room for maps.

There's a USFWS office on the coast near me that has a topo map of the local bay/River delta that's the size of a pool table and the first time I saw it I couldn't stop looking at it for something like half an hour. Big topo maps are super cool. Just realizing you aren't the exact comment I meant to reply to, oh well you understand the map love I'm sure.

Another thing is having too many of the same species. I have several whitetail mounts and I only have one in my house and one in my office at work. I have 3 shoulder mounts in my house 1 mule deer, 1 pronghorn, and 1 whitetail....plus a elk European mount. I shot a good whitetail this year and my wife asked if I was going to shoulder mount it. I told her " I have mounts stored away in the basement that aren't being displayed, so I will just do a Euro mount and add it to my pile. She told me I should but really when I am dead and gone who will want or appreciate my taxidermy?
Hopefully I can get a nice bull elk and add to the house but rag horns seem to be what I get on my hunts...and I am perfectly happy with that. A moose and caribou would be neat ad well but DIY hunting makes that a bit more challenging!

I can’t really speak to the decorating portion, but if you were ever going to build a house, remember to vault every single room in your house if possible.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back